Tranny Troubles

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by long 64, Sep 16, 2001.

1. long 64

long 64 Member

"Tranny Troubles"

Wow! As you can probably tell I'm new to Chevy Duty! Just bought a 64 Chevy 3/4 ton long bed. Ordered the catalog but couldn't wait so I downloaded and printed it the next day.
    My new truck needs a little work, but that's why I bought it. Just went to a car show tonight and guess what was there, a 64 long bed. It was beautiful, inside and out. Asked the owner what he had under the hood and he told me a 350. He said his paint job cost him $4,000. I couldn't believe it! I had hoped to put mine in ship shape for way less than his paint job.

Anyway, here is my question. When I drove the truck, around the block, before I bought it, the tranmission seemed fine. I drove it around for about an hour after buying it and it seemed the more I drove it the worse the problem became. I would shift from first into second and it seemed like the handle would go up to the second gear position but when I let go of the cluth you could tell the truck was still in first. I found that if I shifted back to first then back to second, it worked. The truck was in second gear. This doesn't happen every time but seemed to happen more the longer I drove the truck.

I asked the guy I bought it from and he said it might be the Synco.
    I asked someone else and they said there are two forks that sometimes get out of line. Another said it might be the column. Can some one tell me what it is and if it is difficult to fix?

Thanks

I ran the vin after reading an article and this is the info I received:
    Engine 230
    Tran 3 speed I believe both are still original.

OK, one more quick question, I have a little Flintstones' going on where the floor has rotted out. Should I have someone weld a piece over it or is there a better repair method? I don't want a show truck, just a safe one.

2. DrMike

DrMike Member

Sounds like a possible linkage problem on the tranny. It is not that much to fix it but it may have to be converted to a floor shifter.

As for the rust(flintstones) welding a panel is fine. I have done the same thing to my 58 just over where the tranny is. Also had to do this because I put a Turbo350 auto trans in it along with the 350 V8.

I did not buy mine for showing either. Paint can cost you a fortune if you aren't careful. I got a beautiful job done on mine for less than $500. It's all in how much you want to put into it and what you are going to use the truck for.

Good Luck,
    Dr.Mike

3. long 64

long 64 Member

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance to drive it much as I was told the rims it had were dangerous. It had the split rims which I have just replaced.

A five hundred dollar paint job, do you live in California?
    I bought a an orbital sander and polished the paint on the truck and it looks pretty darn good.

I really just want the truck to drive around town and as a hobby to tinker and learn with. Went to the junk yard and found a similar one I was able to get a couple of parts.

Thanks again for your info on the tranny, been reading a lot of books, let you know what it ends up being.