Transmission bolt up to 235

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by garrison, Feb 23, 2022.

1. garrison

garrison Member

I have a 57 chevy p/u that is all stock with a good running original 235. But highway driving is not ideal. I have learned the previous owner put a period correct Chevy car rear axle to help with speed, but I'm looking at a new transmission. I have a line on a good working 3 speed automatic Turbo 400 that came out of a 53 Chevy pickup. Will this be a good option? Will it mate directly to my 235 (it was used with a 235 so the owner says it will)? And will it improve my highway speed?
    Eventually in a few years I may swap in a modern engine/transmission, but for now I'm looking for something to just make it a little more drive-able.
    Thanks,

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

A Turbo 400 has the same 1:1 high gear ratio as your stock '57 Chevy transmission. Therefore, engine speed would be the same at highway speed.

3. garrison

garrison Member

Thanks! That's just what I needed to know. My mechanic has suggested an engine/transmission swap as the most cost effective long term solution if I'm going to drive it very often/far. I think that's what I'll start saving up for.