Transmission Help!

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by aimless, Jul 2, 2008.

1. aimless

aimless Member

Hello, guys! Long time no talk! I've unfortunately been real busy with school which I can say I am finally done with and have now began my career as a full time firefighter for a county department! Good to see you all again!

So my 1965 C-10 loves transmissions, I guess. I'm on my third one, this one a custom built TH350 that was supposed to be warrantied for a lifetime, as I shelled out $600 for this luxury at the local AAMCO place....

PROBLEM is, the shop sold their AAMCO franchise and are no longer honoring the lifetime warranty they sold me three years ago. :( Recently my tranny stopped going into second gear, going simply from first to third. The diagnosis is a broken sprag... a $50 part, but a $650-in-labor fix.

Seeing as how this is the third transmission by the third shop (two 700R4s previously burned up by faulty mounting) and seeing as how this one made it a mere 6000 miles before its inner workings became FUBAR, I figured, what the hell, I might as well give her a shot myself. I can't do any worse!!

My question is have any of you ever dove into a transmission or know where I can find info on the subject. My cousin and his buddy both went to WyoTech, so I am going to get their assistance as they have both rebuilt transmissions. Any other advise is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks guys!

2. bonvo

bonvo Member

go with a stickshift alot easier to care for

3. aimless

aimless Member

Well, do you have any more suggestions as to which kind?

4. bonvo

bonvo Member

lol your running a 350 right look into a 5 speed out of an early 90s 1500wt or if you want to stay auto look into a raceing trans from summet may cost more but alot stronger

5. step1958

step1958 Member

you can buy the parts every where cheap and videos or d.v.d 's on how to do it ? buy the beer find you a guy that knows a little about them and fix it your self ? or you want a performance tranny ? www.bmracing.com/ or ]www.northenautoparts.com/e-mail info@nothernautoparts.com <-these guys are in sioux city ia cant make it load right ? hope this helps :D

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008