transmission selection

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by braknboyy, Jul 20, 2010.

1. braknboyy

braknboyy Member

I have a 63 C10 shortbed that has a chevy 350 going into it...but no trans..What would be a decsent trans for street use: no hauling or drag racing ( but i would like to GET ON IT once and a while). I would like o/d but its not a must. I would like to keep the 3-on-the-tree..but if it's too expensive....than it can go. Appreciate any help on the matter

2. drabo

drabo Member

If you have no tranny then basically your going to eat a core charge so get what you want. I'm not sure of your options if you keep it three on the tree but I would say a 5 speed tranny out of an 80's/90's chevy truck would be a good choice. That would mean floor shifter.

I along with quite a few others have had great sucess with the 700R4 tranny swap. Great for cruising, o/d, and automatic. For the most part it is a bolt in swap.

3. myascape

myascape Member

How is everyone feeling about a 5-speed T5 from an S-10? I'm thinking of putting one behind my 81 Chevy's 250. I'm really wanting to keep a manual transmission in it. Could I use the flywheel and bellhousing from the donor I wonder?

Otherwise, a 700r-4 is really the ticket. Great low 1st gear, OD. Nice little slushbox.

Joe

4. Tbone1953

Tbone1953 Member

Winter project

Does anyone know if a 327 will bolt up to the stock manual trans in a 1953 gmc?

5. raycow

raycow Member

Use a 55-59 or 63-67 TRUCK bellhousing and it will bolt up. 60-62 will work only if you want to run hydraulic clutch linkage. The fork is on the wrong side for mechanical linkage.

However, you still have a lot more work to do. You will lose the stock rear mounts that are attached to the bellhousing now. Either modify the stock crossmember to work with the later type mounts or else make a new crossmember to go under the transmission. If you go with the transmission crossmember, make a bracket out of angle stock for the mount and attach it to the lower two ball retainer bolts.

Up front, you will need to make new frame brackets for the engine mounts. The hardest part of the job will be to get the left side exhaust to clear the steering. There is a manifold that will fit (early 265 I think), but most people just go with headers because that manifold is getting scarce.

An aftermarket cable throttle will probably be easier than trying to cobble the stock linkage. You will have to convert the electrical system to 12 volts if this hasn't been done already.

Ray

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  6. myoung73

myoung73 Member

I have a 1960 Chevy Short Box and i'm running a 84 vette 350 with a automatict turbo 400 with a 1500 stall

7. myoung73

myoung73 Member

Here is a pic before we set it into the frame.

Attached Files:

8. myoung73

myoung73 Member

I used a set of 1996 S-10 inline 4cyl motor mounts on the 350. But we had to add a 1\4 plate steel spacer to get the oil pan to clear the frame.