Truck starting with exhaust smoke

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by ryanova, Apr 8, 2005.

1. ryanova

ryanova Member

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Whenever I start my 87 Chevy a big puff of black smoke comes out of the exhaust and then it doesnt do it anymore. What do I need?

2. eugene68

eugene68 Member

RE: Truck starting with exhaust smo

if it is a black puff of smoke that would indicate that your engine is starting rich.. if running carb, check for stuck choke or overrich settings.. if running fuel injection,start with changing your oxygen sensor.
    good luck hope this helps.
    eugene

3. Eric87Chevy

Eric87Chevy Member

O Rings could be leakin a little oil which causes it to blow the smoke. Nothing major if that's the case. Black smoke is usually oil burning. my dad had an 89, and it did this, and the engine ran forever. The smoke was only when it started. Hope that helps

4. eugene68

eugene68 Member

I was always told
    black smoke was an overrich condition,(too much fuel or incomplete ignition)
    blue smoke was an oil burning conditon ( indicated poor oil control either in worn valve guides or piston rings)
    white smoke was an indication of blown head gaskets or on rare conditions, burning brake fluid. VERY RARE.
    anyone out there know if this is correct? or hear different? please correct me if I am wrong.
    eugene.

5. Eric87Chevy

Eric87Chevy Member

your right about the smoke thing, but sometimes it's hard for people to see the difference in Blue and black smoke. If you dont look right at the smoke when you start you might think that it's black when it's really blue. But you are right.

6. 85Silverado

85Silverado Member

Couldn't the white smoke also just be condensation from being in the cold overnight?
    Something like that - then when you start it up, BAM, it burns up and runs fine the rest of the day.

That's what I heard

http://my85silverado.tripod.com/

7. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

I have a factory q-jet on my 85 K10...can I adjust the carb using the two screws at the front of the carb ? Or are they set at the factory and can't be adjusted ? If they can be adjusted , what is a good starting point , ie .. all the in and backed out 1/2 turn ?
    Thanks for any help

8. 81 BLAZER

81 BLAZER Member

Blue smoke on start up = valve guid seals, (standard chev sb problem) But this won't hurt anything... and black smoke as stated above is a rich running condition which is also known as carbon build up. The screws on the carb are an Idle mixture screw and probably won't help much I would suggest checking the choke, then jets and needles.

9. 87gmc4x4

87gmc4x4 Member

it might be your valve seals

10. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

If it fuelinjection time run the codes. check the sensors.
    Black smoke most time is rich & blue is oil . As stated above problems

11. dane st. cyr

dane st. cyr Member

if its carbureted. take the carb apart and tap lightly on the lead plugs on the botton of bowl to reseal the bowl, there are two

12. Guam52

Guam52 Member

I had the same problem on my 1987 4x4 replaced the valve seals and the problem went away.

13. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Well if it more of a blue then yes the vales seal would be time to change, if the still the untouched 87 factory one in there. Most like leaking a little by now. ( or the valves guides need re-done at a shop or buy new heads)
    Not to hard to do valves seals if you know how to do it & have tools to help.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007