Truck won't idle after filling it with gas.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by PHATSPEED7X, Sep 9, 2010.

1. PHATSPEED7X

PHATSPEED7X Member

I drove my 53 into town today. Ran like a clock all the way to town. I put $20 worth of gas in it. I drove it around a little bit, and all the sudden it started running like crap. Like it was running out of gas. It's got me really stumped. I ordered a new fuel filter for it, and i'll try that tomorrow. Anything else I should look out for. Truck runs fine when it's wide open. It's all original with the 216ci I-6 and single barrel carb.

2. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Sounds like you sucked up some trash in to the carb when the tank got low. A new fuel filter is a good idea but just for shits and giggles try this.....Cross two plug wires, it can be any two then take the air cleaner off and start the engine and crack the throttle a couple of times real quick. What this will do is cause the engine to backfire up through the carb and this usually will dislodge anything that maybe stuck. Put your plug wires back where they belong and see how it runs. If this doesn't work then you will probably have to tear down the carb and run some tag wire through it and wash it out....Good luck...Big Tim :cool:

3. PHATSPEED7X

PHATSPEED7X Member

I'll give this a shot. thanks for the tip!

4. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

I always thought you (Tim) were one of the sharp guys on this site.That idea of crossing two wires is one best tricks i've ever heard of .I'll tuck that one away for future reference.
    Bobby

5. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Engine running problem tips and tricks?

Maybe your problem is allready solved , but it is not unlikely that there could be some water in your gasoline or as mentioned shit at the bottem of your tank. If tank is empty it could be wurth trying to clean it by sucking up the rust or slack. Water in fuel problems can be solved by additing some additive that you can buy at your locall gasstation or carshop ? It parts the water molecules from the fuel and the water goes down to the bottem of your tank temporarely. However cleaning the tank is still needed. I have mounted a thin steel filter inside the filling neck of the tank. Bought mine at the local carshop.

Good luck Martinius

6. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Thanks Bobby, you make me feel like a GOD. Dammit now I can't get my head through the door....lol :D

7. Bobby 57

Bobby 57 Member

I gotta saw for that door. LOL

8. PHATSPEED7X

PHATSPEED7X Member

Well I installed a new fuel filter, and tried the backfire tip. Still running like crap. Going to limp it the car show tomorrow, and talk to some guys. I know a guy who does alot of buissness with my work. He said he would rebuilt the carb for $50. Might do that anyways. Also ordered a new fuel pump just in case... I work for Oreilly Auto parts so it helps....

9. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

I've always understood that you pick up fuel from the Bottom of the tank at all times. This would mean that any trash you get in the tank, including water, will be picked up as soon as it's introduced to the tank..... If this is the case, you got the trash from the station where you bought your fuel. If it's practical, catch a sample in a clean jar and keep in case you need to be reimbursed for damages by the service station. On the issue of swapping spark wires.... backfires can, and often do, result in carburetor fires. Should this occur, the best thing to do is crank the engine over and suck the fire back down the intake if it will.
    Almost forgot. Just in case, since it idles junky, but runs fine at higher rpms, consider a possible vacuum leak too. Otherwise, the 'idle system' portrion of the carb will probably be the culprit.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  10. PHATSPEED7X

PHATSPEED7X Member

Well I fixed the problem. I just ended up driving it into town, and readjusted the carb. Ran a little better after that. I let it sit for a couple hours while I was at the car show. I came back to my truck, and a guy was looking at it. A older guy who looked like he knew what he might be doing. Turns out he owned a 1948 Chevy Truck with the same motor. I told him what mine was doing, and he was like "well fire this baby up, and give me that screwdriver, you must be close..." Turns out I was about a half a turn off on my idle speed. She runs great now. We started talking and sounds like he some parts I would like to get. I'll have to give him a call and see what kinda deals I can work out...