Turbo 400 whines

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by Tailgater, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Hey all,
    My truck has a turbo 400 that whines.

The truck had sat for 10 years without being touched. I have done all the regular stuff to get it back on it's feet and finally got to start driving it to see what else would crop up.

The tranny wouldn't shift to 3rd. I researched it and decided to pull the governor. The plastic gear was shot, basically it was concave where it should have been round. I replaced it and it ran fine for about 200 miles and it has quit shifting to 3rd again.

What is different is that the first time it didn't whine. I think this might be a pump problem. When cold it whines loud. When warmed up it whines quieter. When in gear at a stop it does not whine. It shifts from 1st to 2nd but not 3rd. It won't manually shift to 3rd either. The fluid is up to the mark and clean, no smell.

I haven't serviced the tranny yet. I wanted to ask what I should look for when I drop the pan. Do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. JohnB

JohnB Member

Check the filter, if clogged up they will make a whining noise.

3. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Follow-up
    I changed the fluid and the filter in the transmission and the whine went away. However, it still won't change to 3rd gear. It changes so smoothly from 1st to 2nd that I can't feel it change but it won't change to 3rd and I can't make it go to third manually.

When I changed the fluid and filter I found a thin layer of sludge in the pan and some pieces of film. When I compared the new and old filter I determined that the filter material in the old filter had broken up and some was in the pan.

The last time I had this problem I changed out the governor and it fixed it. The plastic grooved roller cog in the governor was concave instead of rounded. That was only a few miles back so I wouldn't think that would be it again. I plan to pull the governor to see if there is a problem with the tranny that is causing the plastic cog to become concave.

Any ideas on why the tranny won't upshift to 3rd?
    Thanks,
    Bill

4. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Follow-up 2
    Okay, I had lost 3rd before and had pulled the governor to find that the plastic gear on the governor was stripped. I replaced it and it solved the problem. I pulled the new one and it is stripped after only about 200 miles of driving. I suspect the vibration I am feeling is the shaft vibrating enough to chew up the plastic gear. I assume it might be bad bushings but don't know where to start to replace them.
    Is there another possible reason for the plastic gear on the governor being stripped? Does bushing replacement in the case require the tranny to be removed?
    Thanks!
    Bill