Unreliable truck ☹

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by mp8200, Apr 20, 2014.

1. mp8200

mp8200 Member

Hi all, I need some inputs from you!
    My bellowed ?65 truck (3,8L) is starting to get unreliable, which I don?t like. I?m no engine expert; so therefor need your ideas to what I should try to make it reliable again.

A bit of history:
    - I have had my truck for 3-4 years, and it has always been running fine every summer (in the winter it is not used)
    - One month ago I had it out for the first time this year, it started without problems. I drove approx. 50 miles without problems, at the end of the trip I turned it of for cleaning, afterwards I couldn?t start it again. To me the engine sounded right, but simple did not start. At the end the battery died, and I tried with start cables from another car without any luck. I had the truck transported back home.
    - After that trip I charged the battery and changed the fuel filter at the fuel pump. The truck started again, and I had it started a couple of times without any problems.
    - Yesterday I took the change to go for a trip again. I drove around 20 miles without problems. I parked it for the night, and this morning it started again, but after been driving less then 0,5 mile it died, and now I can?t get it to start again! Again it sounds like the motor is turning, but it will not start ☹

As mentioned I?m no engine expert, so don?t really know where to start looking for causes. What would your approach be, and what should I check/clean/change etc.?

I?m looking forward to get your inputs!

Thanks!
    Martin

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Check to see if the engine is:

A) getting spark...

B) getting fuel...

Will it start if you give it a spray of starting fluid?

3. mp8200

mp8200 Member

I managed to get it started (on a close to flat battery) by spraying starting fuel directly into to carb.
    It drove the 10 miles to my garage, though it died two times on the way (when applying the clutch and braking for the red light)

Now it's in my garage I'll start by checking the fuel filters and the spark plugs one of the coming days - I'll keep you informed

Thanks!

Maritn

4. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Martin,

Do you use fuel stabilizer in the gas when you store the truck? You may have some bad gas, or some varnish in the carb.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  5. mp8200

mp8200 Member

I didn't use stabilizer (but maybe should have)
    I just refueled 10 gallons in the tank before a drove the other day, so the gas should be ok i guess

6. mp8200

mp8200 Member

I do apply Lead Substitute in the tank, I guess this is not the "stabilizor" you talked about..?

7. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

Carb needs a clean out. :)

8. mp8200

mp8200 Member

Hi again
    Just a short update.

I had the truck at a workshop today to get it fixed.
    The Distributer points were completely warn out, and got replaced. The distributer and carb got adjusted and now my truck seams to be running like new again! => I'm Happy!

Thanks for your replies on my question!

Martin

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Old Fuel

Fuel by it's nature degrades fairly quickly when it just sits in the tank .

For this reason there are fuel stabilizers sold , very different from the unnecessary ' lead substitutes ' .

At this point it will be prudent to drain out the current fuel and discard it (makes a dandy weed killer) then put in a few gallons of fresh fuel and drive it as much as possible .

90 % of the time , the fresh fuel will dilute the tiny bit of old bad fuel in the carby and dissolve the gummy , varnishy residue too as you drive it .

Whenever you need to leave a vehicle sitting it's wise to top off the tank and ass " Sta Bil " (brand) fuel stabilizer or other similar product .

If you're planning to leave the vehicle a long time , drain the fuel and use it elsewhere then run the engine until it stalls from lack of fuel .

BTW : whenever you charge any battery , use the LOWEST charge rate you can to get the fullest charge and not damage the battery .