update/photo's

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by gmcman1965, Mar 21, 2010.

1. gmcman1965

gmcman1965 Member

i am bad!! i have stayed away from forum for months and worse i have not worked on the truck in nearly 5 months. i got frustrated last October when i came so close to being ready to tour and go to a show, but not too happen so i abandoned project for awhile! i have to finish a few things, repaint front end due to over eagerness that caused damage. the biggest issue is intake manifold leak . i need to find the right help to sort out issue, have tried new gaskets, but feel the fit is off. here is link to photo's i need to take better pics .
    http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee232/gmcman1965/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. codyfox

codyfox Member

Great looking truck....
    Where did you get the seats at? So did you do everything yourself??

3. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Felpro makes a good set of gaskets and will work fine if you do these things first. 1 After you pull your manifold off and you have cleaned it check it with a strait edge and make sure it isn't warped. 2 clean all the remaining sealing surfaces. 3 Get yourself some 3M super weatherstrip adhesive and put some on the head side of the gaskets then put some on the heads. Make sure you go around each port on the heads and on the gaskets. Then make sure you put some in the center between the front and rear ports. Now let the two surfaces dry for about 15 minutes before you put them together. After they dry re coat them with more 3M then stick the gaskets to the heads and let them sit for a few minutes . 4 Now I like to use the gold copper Permatex silicon and put a thin coat on the top surface of the gaskets. Then put a thick bead on the front and rear of the block. Don't use the rubber seals they give you they just get hard and leak over time. 5 Pick up the manifold and carefully set it down on the engine. Try to get it lined up with the holes on the first try so you don't have to slide it around. 6 coat all of your bolts with blue Locktite and Start putting them in. Make sure you have a good set of manifold bolts if you don't go buy some. Now start snugging the bolts down starting in the center of the manifold and working your way out. Keep working your way around until all the bolts are tight. You will probably have to go around the manifold 2 or 3 times until the bolts are all tight. 7 Last thing very important, don't wipe off the silicon that has pushed it's way out. If you feel the need to you can carefully smooth it with your finger Let it dry over night and don't start the engine until the next day after it's dry. If you follow these steps you will have no leaks. I hope this helps....Big Tim :cool:

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I love the two-tone paint! Silver and as us old timers say "Gunmetal grey"? Nice job! The bucket seats look at lot like the ones I had in my '01 Tahoe.

5. gmcman1965

gmcman1965 Member

seats are from 02 chev pick up, same as tahoe. did most of work , with help from freinds. bought the engine . from internet.

6. Zig

Zig Member

We'll forgive you~

The only thing I'm having a hard time with is the "gmcman" part. I was SOOO hoping I was going to see a GMC truck, and the mug to match.

You have a beauty, even if it is a Chevy! :cool: