Vent windows 53 chevy

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mockoski, Feb 21, 2015.

1. mockoski

mockoski Member

Hello Guys,
    Spending the weekend working on my vent window frames and soon going to replace the glass.

Any recommendation on how to reinstall the new glass? I looked at the old Manuel And it mentions using glass channel filler but I don't see anything that is being offered on the truck supply show (i.e classic chevy parts). What are you guys using when you replace this vent window glass ?

Best
    James

2. jayz63

jayz63 Member

In my recent experience I used the window channel relining material that Classic parts sells but I found it to be to difficult to work with due to its thickness and trying to fit the glass into the channel. So instead I had an old bicycle tube that I had laying around, cut it in half the and used a mixture of soap and water to help the glass with the rubber liner slide into the channel. At the point where it started to get tough to push in I used a rubber mallet and block to wood to rest the pointy part of the frame on so it would take the brunt of the impact not damaging the pivot point. After the glass was set it was easy to trim the excess rubber in the frame and looks great. Hope this helps. Good luck.

3. mockoski

mockoski Member

Interesting suggestion. Thanks,
    James

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

No Drafts

James , use the correct Glass Setting Tape and like the man said : support the rounded leading edge of the frame well on a carpeted surface and use a dead blow mallet to knock the glass in , don't use any lubricant eles it'll likely begin to slide back out after a while .

Often the tape mal forms and leaves un even edges mooshed out , no worries , let it sit a few days then trim it carefully using a NEW single edge razor blade .

New glass is one of the very best " Bang For Buck " things you can do to any old Vehicle .

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I like quick set glass urethane. comes in a tube from NAPA, sets pretty quickly and clans up nicely.

6. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Setting tape is an antiquated way of installing the glass in vent windows these days.

The quick setting glass urethane is the way to go in the 21st century.:D

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Well these trucks are antiques as are many of us that are working on them. :D

8. coilover

coilover Member

If you use the urethane and ever have to replace the glass the ONLY way you will get it out of the channel is to heat the channel hot enough to set the urethane on fire.

9. mockoski

mockoski Member

Thanks guys all very helpful..

Nate, I did notice that the original manual mentioned using Motor oil to brush in the channel. I guess this helped slide the tape and window in, but also helped make the tape swell and make a watertight seal..I assume this new tape doesn't need this any longer?

-James

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I don't know as I just used a leather mallet until they came out with the dead blow typ....

Maybe the Urethane in a tube is wise ~ sounds pretty good to me .

11. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Last time I had to do it.... I broke out all the glass with a hammer & I was able to clean out the channel with a screw driver & an ice pick while it was secured in a vise. No heat needed.

12. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I had problems with the rubber tape pulling out....nearly had a pane fall out. No problem with the urethane. It is the ONLY was I do it anymore......I'm not into redoing things if I can help it.

13. mockoski

mockoski Member

All great advice. Thank you everyone!