Ventilator Window Seal Replacement

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by pathos, Oct 7, 2002.

1. pathos

pathos Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-02 AT 01:58 PM (CST)]ARRRG! I have a 1965 C10 PU and this past weekend I "attempted" to replace the seals around the vent windows. Along with the seals I ordered the vent rivets and the vent rivet setting tool(?). As with all window seals it was a pain but I got them in place but when it came time to put in some of the rivets all hell broke loose. I did get one in place but I'm not going to tell you how I did it, it's shameful! Long question short, does anyone have any hints, tips or tricks on how to do this? The real problem seemed to be riveting the straight seal piece to the long divider bar. The divider bar is "U" shaped and therefore it's difficult to set those 3 or 4 rivets in place. HELP!!

pathos
    1965 Blue C10 1/2 Ton Fleetside/350/3 in the Column

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I did mine a few weeks ago and I could't agree more about your frustration. I figured it would be a snap as I have a hand rivit tool. Right,,, Tool would not fit. It was a good thing I ordered the kit from our hosts here. It came with the tool to set the rivits.

I used a combination of a vise, and clamps to hold it all in place. But it was like building a house of cards. What I thought would take a few hours, turned into a few hours a night for several nights !

I did increase my inventory of "Favorite Curse Phrases" during the process though....

Dennis