vintage license plates

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by sloromon, Sep 12, 2010.

1. sloromon

sloromon Member

hey guys, finally getting around to registering my truck here in the great state of arizona... looking for a 52 AZ license plate with a 53 tag. man, VERY difficult to locate without dropping some major cheese. anybody got ideas? i found a 54 plate but it turns out the "c.p.2" on there means it's a commercial plate, and the DMV lady said it has to be the exact year of the vehicle, even though they never made a 53 license plate, just a tag to cover up the "52" on the previous year's plate. thanks guys!

jon

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Don't know what you mean by " Major Cheeze " but ..if you are NOT looking for gold at copper prices..... ..We Gotcha covered on the 1952 AZ. plate with a 53 tag.

{The C.P. stands for commercial pneumatic.....}

Email us for more info. "DeadZoneTrucking@aol.com"

Attached Files:

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Hey Jon, most states that have a YOM law are very specific when it comes to what license plates you can run on an older vehicle. Ebay is a good resource to find vintage plates, but like you said "They wanna lotta cheese" for them. On occassion, you'll find a bargain.

I found a set of '50 Texas passenger license plates for mine at a local antique store, one had surface rust, but was straight, one had some major dingage. I got them for $40 for the set.

Check your local YOM laws before sinking money into a plate or plates. I had to convince the very nice lady at the DMV that it didn't matter if they were passenger or truck, as long as they were 1950 and were going on a 1950 vehicle.

Check your flea markets and antique stores! You'd be surprised what you can find.

Ken

4. coilover

coilover Member

Usually figure in $125 for vintage plates when quoting a job; any less and they're usually junk and any more I tell them to shove them. Some years are "hot" like 32-34 and 55-57 and adjustments are made but this will cover most.

5. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

All my trucks use YOM plates.
    Only one plate is required in Arizona....

The plates are easy to find.... what is tough to find are the specific year tags...
    Arizona only issued license plates on the even # years { 1950 1952 1954 }
    They issued a tag to cover the even # plates on the odd # years { 1951 1953 1955 }

Doesn't matter if it is a car or truck plate in Arizona but, I go ahead & pay the extra $5 a year to register a commercial plate & I get to park in those great yellow curb loading zones without any hassles.

Everyone expects to find a 60 year old plate in pristine condition & they expect the year tag to be in the same condition & they want both for $20..... These are the same guys that will still complain about something even if ya show up in person & install the plates on their ride.....
    Thats why we don't stand for anyone scoffing at our prices on XLNT condition plates.....
    & sometimes we need to tell the buyers to "shove it" also.

Attached Files:

6. sloromon

sloromon Member

thanks ken, evan, deadzone!

jon

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

In NC, we can rn vintage nd yom plates. We don't have to register them, but we do have to have the real tag in the vehicle.

8. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Russ, in Texas, the plate IS the real tag. You just have to have a validation tag.

AD%20Acc_%20002.jpg

9. ccharr

ccharr Member

I was looking for some plates last weekend at Ventura, the guy had 3 sets, one for 300$ very used, one re-done for 550$ and then one that had never been on any truck had all the packaging for 900.00$ all of them a little to much for me.

DZ, do you have any 48's in for AZ that would work on my 3804?

10. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

We do have a good selection of '48 AZ. plates.

California plates are a whole different ball game because 2 matching plates are required.

11. PHATSPEED7X

PHATSPEED7X Member

I just have a "normal" plate on the back of my truck for the time being. Can't get a "collector" plate unless you owned the vehicle for 1 year in MN.

12. ccharr

ccharr Member

How hard is it to get them on in AZ. I'm about ready to start changing over most of my stuff real soon. For the 48, Ca. wants 189.00$ this coming year for the tags.
    I've got to find out also if the Vehicle have to be inspected and the trucks weight gotten .
    Let me know what you need for the tag/s.

Also do you have a working battery cover ?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  13. sloromon

sloromon Member

so if c.p. is commercial pneumatic, what does t.p. stand for? trailer tag?

jon

14. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Gotcha covered on the battery box cover. {PM me}

Your truck will need a "Level 1" inspection by Ariz. MVD when you switch everything over from Calif.

The '48 AZ. plates are tough to find in good shape because they were made out of rather flimsy aluminum & they did not hold up as good as the later steel plates.
    AZ. MVD will reject a YOM plate that is in poor shape so, don't waste $$$ on a beat up one.
    You will have to line up a '48 AZ plate that is clear & the characters are not already in use.

Attached Files:

15. JW 54

JW 54 Member

Validation Tag???

Hey Ken I have original plates on my truck. What is a validation Tag? Is it something I should have?

Attached Files:

16. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Jerry, did you notice the tag on the upper left of my license plate. That's the validation tag for my truck. Expires March of 2013. I could have opted for a sticker on the windshield, but chose the little tag. If you have the window sticker, you're good to go.

Ken

17. JW 54

JW 54 Member

Ken, Yes I did notice that tag on your plate. I didn't know I had a choice, I have the window sticker, so I guess I'm good to go.
    Thanks, JW

18. knucklfrank

knucklfrank Member

need vintage plate

DZ,
    looks like you are the arizona connection, i am also in need of a vintage plate for my 1947, i tried ebay but got sniped and no other 47 plates have shown up. what do you have.
    thanks
    frank

19. knucklfrank

knucklfrank Member

dead zone trucking,
    i saw on classicparts you have a line on arizona license plates, im looking for a 1947 plate and wonder if you could help.
    frank
    602-448-0171