Weird Horn Problem

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Steven Hinkle, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Steven Hinkle

Steven Hinkle Member

I have a 66 Chevy C-10 half-ton and have developed a problem with my horn. I recently had my steering column completely rebuilt and just reinstalled it a couple days ago. When I plugged in the horn, it stayed on until I unplugged it in at the horn. Thought this was weird so I thought maybe the horn button was stuck. Not. So I went ahead and removed the entire horn button assembly (including the horn pin) from the steering wheel. I re-plugged the horn and it still honked! Next step I took was to replace the horn relay. Didn't work - still a constant honk. Thinking maybe a bad part? When I attached the negative terminal, I did get a quick clicking from the relay so I'm not sure what this means. So anyone having any thoughts about this I would really appreciate some assistance. I'm thinking maybe an aftermarket horn button but that will be the last resort. Also, the horn was acting weird before I rebuilt the column. Thanks a lot!

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Have you checked to see if the horn wire is pinched somewhere in the column? Check the wire. I'll bet if you put a continuity tester on the end of the wire at the top of the column and then touch anything metal on the truck, the horn will blow.

I had this same thing happen on a 1970 Nova. The wire got pinched during assembly and was grounded.