What cab do I need??

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by SHARPY27, Sep 18, 2009.

1. SHARPY27

SHARPY27 Member

What year of cab do I need to replace the one on my 54 chevy? I know that 54 was the first year for the one piece windshield, but is that the only difference?? I could live with the split windshield if that is the only difference. Some idiot who had this truck before me cut the dash out, and put a woodgrain dash in it. They also cut a sunroof in it.:mad: Please help!!!

2. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    I know I have seen replacement dashes for the earlier models and there may also roof patch kits, I know I have seen 5 window conversion or replacement patches. That may be the easier route.

Flashlight

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Any cab will work. The 54/55 1st series had the 1 piece windsheild and a different dash. The cross bar grille is a love/hate item. Lots of people put earlier sheetmetal on theirs to get rid of the grille.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well ;

'47 ~ '50 cabs only had _one_ center rear mount instead of the vastly improved side rear mounts .

You can use the early or late cabs and just move the needed mounts , your old rubber bushings are shot anyways , trust me there .

If your floor and cowl isn't all rusty , it may well be the smart move to keep what you have and cut up another , rusty floor cab (they're cheap) and fix yours .

Unless of course, Evan chimes in and says different , follow his recommendations
    to the letter .

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I forgot about the earlier rear cab mounts.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

No Worries !

The main thing is to find a rust free one if possible .

Or , win The Lotto and buy one of those fibreglas ones I've seen , they look pretty nice .

7. wi49

wi49 Member

'49 and '50 models were the 4 point mount for the cab. Only the '47 and '48 had the 3 point mount.