What is the color of the cab behind the seat and can I remove the dash in my '54?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by steve l, Mar 22, 2011.

1. steve l

steve l Member

So I was wondering what color the metal should be painted that is directly behind the seat and gas tack. Is that supposed to be a satin or semi gloss chassis black, or some other color? I assume the metal above that which is visible and behind the seat should match the cab but what color should that part be?

Also can the complete dash be removed by just unbolting it or is it actually welded or put into place in such a way that it would make it hard to remove without the use of some sort or cutting tool? I want to get up in there and take care of the rust and paint and that sure would make it a heck of a lot easier if that could be removed. That way I could also take it out and have it blasted.

Steve
    HTML:

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The cab back is the same as the interior. I don't believe the gas tanks were painted. The dash is welded in along the windsheild pich weld. There are also some spot welds at the lower sides at the kick panels. Under the dash ws never painted either, which is why they tend to rust out.

3. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

My fuel tank was originally painted but it is the two tone blue interior. The retaining straps were not painted.

I guess the tank color could depend on whether or not it was deluxe cab option then.

4. Chiro

Chiro Member

Or...

...somebody took the tank out previously for some reason and painted it before they put it back in.

5. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

This truck has been in the family since almost new. Trust me. This is the way that this one left the factory. Again, this is a special case in that it is the deluxe cab option in 54 with the two tone interior, chrome vent window frames, pass side visor, etc.

It is altogether possible that they treated these trucks differently than the standard color interior.

6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The 2 tone interior may be a dealer add on, I'm not aware of any leaving the factory that way. Not that it isn't possible.

7. JW 54

JW 54 Member

Paint in my 54

Steve here are a couple pictures of behind my seat. I also have a 1954 model. As you can see the color of the gas tank and the area behind the seat is not the same as the rest of the cab. This paint is satin. May have been some type of primer. My truck was not repainted on the interior untill I did it. I did not repaint the tank or the other area behind the seat.( brownish color) This may just cause more confusion but it was definitely painted two different colors.
    Jerry

Attached Files:

8. steve l

steve l Member

Thanks to everyone....

for giving me some insight on this. Also thanks Jerry for the pictures. Nothing makes an explanation easy like a couple of pictures. I am doing black accents (door panels, visors, arm rests, seat, seat belts, etc.) with the original beige interior color. With that in mind, I think I might just go for black Satin for everything behind the seat. I was thinking I wouldn't paint the gas tank but now that I see yours painted I think I really like how that looks. It looks a lot cleaner that way. I'm assuming I can just paint that with normal paint? after applying some self etching primer?

Steve

9. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

[​IMG]

RPO 430 shows it was a factory option

10. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Best I can see, it is exterior option. Paint it however you like, its your truck.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Fwiw ,

Using gloss makes it easier to keep clean as the years go by...

Using lighter colors makes it easier to find stuff behind there too .

12. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

Dude, you are frustrating me. Do I need to read RPO options 430 and 431 to you? Read through the whole paragraph. 54 was a different animal for options.

13. tclederman

tclederman Member

Are you referring to Greg's posts?

The De Luxe Equipment for Series 3000 Cab consists of two-tone interior trim . . .

These 1954 (and 55-1st) options (430 & 431) were for interior cab equipment.

These two options were available with single exterior color or with the 54/55 Two-Tone Cab exterior options (438).

Four two-tone interior options were available by the end of 1954.

14. tclederman

tclederman Member

The 54 cab I am now working on has original paint on the interior. I think it is Pulsar Gray (deluxe interior paint option 390 in 54). It is a little different from what Jerry shows but maybe that difference is because of the color - Jerry's color appears to be the original standard Pearl Beige).

The sheet metal behind my gas tank is cab color and the gas tank is not painted except for overspray on the passenger side surrounding the exposed area of the gas tank near the filler tube.

My cab is apart and the cab and tank are in an unheated garage, still it hibernation. I'll see if I can take and post photos tomorrow (my recollection might be bad, but I'll check this out).

15. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Sorry, the scan doesn't come out very clearly. Don't get frustrated.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  16. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

I'm fine. Many years ago, I had an old friend that has since passed that always swore that my truck wasn't correct because it had white top. He said they only did that on ice cream trucks. In all honesty, I never realized that the two tone interior and the chrome vent windows were anything special. They were the only way I had ever seen the trucks. Live and learn huh?

Bottom line is that my gas tank is painted the lighter of the two cab interior colors but as has been pointed out, the different treatments very well could have meant a completely different sequence of finishing. Tim's truck sounds like mine in that the fuel tank was in the cab when it was painted if it masked the back of the cab from being painted.

17. tclederman

tclederman Member

I'm fine, too. No frustration; just astonishment. We all make mistakes, and this should be expected since we are not professionals.

Greg,

My guess is that different painters (factories) might have handled the painting behind the seat differently. One of my cabs is painted Pulsar Gray behind the seat. Also, it looks like just enough of the gas tank was painted Pulsar Gray such that it looks painted when it is in place. The rest of this tank is not painted. Most of the tank, except for the filler tube and that upper edge (which are painted), cannot be seen when the seat is in place).

Jerry's cab is not painted behind the seat. Your two-tone cab/tank is painted a third way.

I cannot easily get to my Pearl Beige interior truck to see how that one is painted.

The bottom line is, unless you are trying to do a factory-match, paint it the way that suits you (as suggested by ol' chebby).

Regarding gloss interior paint, the original interior paint used a flattening compound in the mix.

18. steve l

steve l Member

Going with black behind the seat....and I think I like the painted tank

As has been suggest by a few, I think I will paint it black - a little bit because it is already that color in spots and also cause I think it will look good that way. I've had to come to terms that my truck will never be perfect factory original - but pretty close.

One thing I am doing which from reading this thread I realized was wrong was I am replacing the trim around the drivers and passenger's side window with chrome/stainless trim and changing out the vent window assemblies to chrome too. I like how it looks but from reading this post I realized that is wrong since I just have the small back window and I don't have the 3 back windows. It sure looks nice though. My only questions is when these were all chrome did they still have the painted water shield above the vent window? Or was there no water shield? Or should I take my original shields and get them chromed? Thanks for all of the good advice steering me in the right direction.

Steve

19. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The sheild was painted body color. The trim is for deluxe cabs, but it shure does look nice. The 53 I built, we took a few liberties with. 53 had little shiny stuff, only the door handles and windsheild center, and hood ornamentation. We chromed it out, because it shure looks better. Do what you want, it is your truck. Perfectly restored gets boring, it looks like everyone else's restored truck.

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Stainless window trims were installed on many trucks that didn't have the Nu-Vue corner window option....

Build it how you like ~ you're footing the bill .