Whats up with this Flywheel Dust pan on my 235?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by cmkruse, Aug 8, 2018.

1. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

I thought all the 216, 235 and 261 engines used the same dust shield. I have one I obtained somewhere and was going to put it on my truck with a 235 engine but the holes don't line up. They seem to be about an inch or so too narrow. I measured the pan and it's 15 and 3/16. Center to center of the bolt holes. The bell-housing holes measure around 15 and 7/8 or 3/4 maybe. Standing on my head to get the measurement affected the accuracy ! These are the mounting holes at the widest part of the pan and bell-housing. Can some one tell me what's up with the pan and what do I need to get one to fit? I put an ad in the wanted section but no responses yet.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Correct ~ there are early and late versions, I no longer remember which is which but you'll have to spend some time beating the bushes and sooner or later you'll stumble across one that's correct .

Just keep asking for pictures of the ones for sale and then ask for the measurements ~ most won't bother if you ask them to measure it on the first jump .

It's out there, I eventually found a pristine undented one for $5 ~ it was filthy beyond imagination and had peeling paint under the grease and grime but who cares ~ it was what I needed & wanted so I grabbed it and found some plastic bags to wrap it in to get it home with out oiling my clean clothes not the interior of my spiffy car....

3. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Thanks Nate, I can always count on you for good info. Now I just have to find the right one and getter fastened up!

4. Bilbo1

Bilbo1 Member

If the cover you have fits everywhere else, can you just drill new holes?

5. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Good call Bilbo1 unfortunately the one I have is the smaller one and doesn't reach the existing holes.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

No because the wrong one doesn't cover the threaded holes in the bell housing .

Good on you for thinking outside the box though ! .