Wheel brake cylinders

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 49 farm truck, Mar 12, 2006.

1. 49 farm truck

49 farm truck Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-06 AT 02:48 PM (CST)]Are the brake cylinders for the front and rear wheels the same on a 1 ton as a 1 1/2 ton truck? I am looking for kits to rebuild the brake cylinders. Thanks to anyone for any help!:)

2. Bossman

Bossman Member

According to the book the Fronts on both are the same and the rears on both are the same,but the front cannot be used on the rear or vice versa.

The fronts on both the 1 ton and 1 1/2 ton use a flat blade brake adjusting tool through a slot in the backing plate. The adjusters on the wheel cylinders have what looks like a cup with slots cut our of it for the flat blade to slide into for adjusting.

The rears have two 5/8" head bolts that are spring loaded which you can see on the driveline side of the backing plates. Inside the backing plate is a plate with raised nubs on it that engage what look like gear teeth on the outside of the adjuster cups.

I haven't worked on my fronts on my ton and a half yet, but the rears are worn and the adjusters are a weak link in the design. I had to spot weld two of the ajuster plates to the bolts because they failed to stay attached to the bolts so adjusting was impossible. Another adjuster is missing altogether. I am still looking for a source for parts. I may have to machine something myself.

3. Bossman

Bossman Member

Another difference I found out is that the fronts use a 1 1/4" piston and the rears use a 1 1/2" piston. That's diameter, not length.