Why does 12 volt battery work in 6volt system

Discussion in 'Electrical Shop' started by 53joe, Dec 7, 2010.

1. 53joe

53joe Member

My 1953 1/2 ton pickup with a 216 engine has the original 6 volt wiring but when I hook up a 12 volt battery everything works. The engine starts right up, the lights all work, the horn and the heater. The truck hasn't been started for 25 years but just recently I got it to run after putting in lots of work (plugs, points, wires, condensor, 6 volt coil, gas gauge and even rebuilt the starter and generator). Don't know if the other gauges work because i have no brakes(in the process of major overhaul).I'm confused. What's up?

2. drabo

drabo Member

Your 6VDC system will work when 12VDC is applied to it. However your are sending double the voltage to all your componets which will greatly reduce their life. The switches and wiring are the only componets that are not effected by changing the voltage. You might even be extending their life since the amprage going through them is now cut in half. Volts X Amps = Watts/Power. 6VDC X 7.5Amps = 45Watts. 12VDC X 3.75Amps = 45 Watts

3. jhonmathew

jhonmathew Guest

These batteries can be connected to the circuit, so the entire circuit voltage is the sum of voltages around the drum track. The trucks can be used to replace a 12 volt battery with two 6 volt batteries. The main advantage of this system is that the two 6 volt batteries can be charged to a 12 volt batteries deep cycle.