windlace retainer hardware

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Lews50, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Lews50

Lews50 Member

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can find the actual hardware for the windlace around the door on my '47? I see our host has the retainers for the '50 but not the '47. Or perhaps an old trick of how to secure it without it?

Thanks in advance, Lew.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Lew, Its aweful hard to find that retainer in usable condition. I think it changed in 48' and those are tabs welded into the body that you slide the windlace through. I finally gave up on finding a usable retainer and just used the windlace retainer screws with some stainless washers and screwed through the rubber, it looks good and is very secure with a screw and washer every 4 inches or so. If I ever come across a usable retainer I can always put it in. To tell the truth I don't even think about the windlace because it looks original now. Always bigger problems to deal with.

Flashlight

3. Lews50

Lews50 Member

Thanks

I was hoping someone would answer like this. I was actually thinking of just doing as you say. I will post pictures soon. I have put in the headliner, door boards and new hardware, and now just working on the rubber. In the meantime I started with the new wiring harness and thanks to all the instructions and pictures here that is going well. I have completed the engine compartment and am ready to move inside to the instrument panel.

Thanks again, Lew.

4. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Advice 235 engine Plugwires

Hey Lewis. How your doing?

I`ll noticed that you have used the old fashion (new make) plugwires . They look nicely but thats all. I recommend you should`nt use these on your beautifully restored 235 engine. Better buying a good silicone plugwire set from Pertronix for 6 cyl engines,these are great and not to expencive. The reason is that the non protected plugcontact is quite dangerous and the cable qualety is not the best when your engineplugs needs a spark. It is a rather doggy product from some #¤&%§ :eek: country i think?

Good luck Martinius

5. Lews50

Lews50 Member

I agree

Trust me, I agree with you and was rather let down when they arrived. I will be upgrading them when I get back to working on my '50. Other then the engine (59) I will be trying to stay original as possible on that one. I recently aquired an almost completed restoration '47 and I am concentrating on completing it first. It has a 350, power steering, updated brakes and rearend, but everything else is being restored. I just want to get some enjoyment out of actually being able to drive one of these. I puttered around the block a couple of times so far.

6. coilover

coilover Member

The strips are usually rusted to several inches up from the floor so we usually just plasma cut a new flat set out of 1/8" flat stock be it steel, aluminum, or stainless. It won't have the bead rolled on each edge but does do some compression on the rubber flap between the screw holes. A little gorilla snot will also keep it bound to the metal strip. With just screws it tends to "pooch" out between the screws. I have a set of strips somewhere, the right and left are different in the factory beaded ones but smooth ones can be flipped. If you don't come up with something let me know and I'll try to find the ones I have and make a cardboard pattern. On something as thin as 1/8 (or 10 gauge) the plasma cutter will be guided by it but not burn the cardboard. You will have to look closely but here is a 48 with the strips held on by SS screws. The windlace is a slightly lighter shade of black but visible.

Attached Files:

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oh , Lordy

I *SO* need to win The Lottery so I can have you overhaul my Shop Truck Evan ! :rolleyes: