Window Vent Shades

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Mr-Pico, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Mr-Pico

Mr-Pico Member

Hi Everyone,
    this maybe a dumb question.
    I picked up a set of window ventshades for my 54 from the host, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how they are installed.
    Any Help wold be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Roger

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

Good to see you are still working on that great looking Chevy, have any current photos of it? Cannot help on the shades, they are something I have been looking at for some time, but they will get in the way of the rife/fishing pole rack once I move out of California for good.

Charles

3. Mr-Pico

Mr-Pico Member

Thanks ccharr.
    I got them installed finally this afternoon, just did it my own way and they are holding tight for now.
    Here is a couple pics I took a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's the vent shades installed

[​IMG]

Roger

4. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks for posting the photos Roger. You have made the truck look better than it did before.
    The shades look really good, I was thinking of the shades you put in the back window to keep the sun out.
    Thanks Again,
    Charles
    ________

5. Mr-Pico

Mr-Pico Member

Thanks Charles.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Boy Howdy !

That's a sharp looking rig you have there ! .

There are two types of door window shades : the old , original style had two self tapping screws so you had to drill holes in your door and trim to use them , those worked great and are my favorite .

The new style , has really thin clips that so far , seem to work just fine in my trucks .

Originally , they were made by The Georgia Pacific Vent Shade Company , I dunno if they're still in business or every thing is Chinese now .

7. Mr-Pico

Mr-Pico Member

Thanks vwnate1
    I got the ones with the screws from our host...Hmmm now to muster up some nerve and drill into the door.
    Roger

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Vent Shade Installation

Roger ;

It's fairly simple : you need three hands to hold the vent shade tightly up as far in as it'll go , making sure both ends as well as the center are firmly in place , then use your fourth hand to drill a much smaller hole than you think you'll need , right on through the unobtanium stainless steel trims you spent 5 years looking for , restoring and polishing , ignore the scratches the chuck gouges in the perfect flat black paint inside the shades...... :rolleyes: .

The screws you use , are critical ~ they're (IIRC) flat ' button head ' typ and I always drill the center hole , install a screw , hold the shade tighter up and drill the next hole , insert the next screw , repeat until you're done then count the dayze until it rains or snows and you can tootle along with the windows cracked 1/8" ~ 1/4" and get good heating / defrosting / ventilating

Those correct screws are available , DO NOT use regular counter sunk trim screws here ! .

Of course , if Even , Russ or anyone else contradicts my advice here , follow theirs , it's usually better .

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

You forgot the liberal aplication of colorful language.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nah ;

I just swear like a 130 year old Sailor....

It also helps to hold your tongue in the corner of your mouth " Just So " .

:rolleyes: .