Windshield trim

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by rix 48, May 6, 2015.

1. rix 48

rix 48 Member

Okay gang, who's the expert on windshield assembly. I have new two piece glass, new rubber and old stainless trim for my 48. Is there a secret to getting the trim into the rubber after the glass is in it? What a pain. I think this is by far the worst part of this project...so far. :confused:

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Check the how to techs by Old Chevy he describes everything. If memory serves me the trim is installed first on the rubber and then put on last is the glass.
    Mike

3. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Trim

I think that's how I did it trim in the rubber first 2 people would make the job a little easer as I remember what a pain with no help. Robert

4. kenparker

kenparker Member

windshield trim on 48

I also had the stainless trim for my 48 windshield. Had so much headache trying to get it and the glass in I gave up and called a professional. He was a glass and that had experience with AD trucks. His first attempt took about 5 minutes and told me the stainless trim was warped and twisted from pulling it out of the original rubber and if installed the glass/gasket would leak. The twist in the trim pulls the rubber away form the lip on the body and/or away from the glass.

I elected to postpone installation, ordered a new gasket that does not require the stainless trim and he returned and installed glass in about 30 minutes.

For the first time in 25 years the windshield does not leak. No stainless trim- but it is worth it. ken