wireing problem solved; almost

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by texascowboy, Oct 24, 2008.

1. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:confused: got the wireing problem fixed today , turns out brand new switch had bad relay??? never heard of this but ,all lights are now working, except the passanger side blinker. even got new bulbs all the way around and the back blinker works but not the front have checked all wires and they look okay and it has power cause the running lights all work . any suggestions???????

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Check the bulb and socket that is not working again.. MAKE SURE you have a good ground.

Val

3. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

it should be grounded to the hood within itself or am i mistaken?? will the bulbs to the insturment panel cause this problem; cause the blinker light does not blink inside the truck either and bulbs are new. by the way what yr model are you working on??

4. dvalentine

Just re-read your first post above. If the rear light is working but not the front it has to be in the wiring in the front. Re-check the wires going to the right front light.

The indicator light in the dash won't come on if the outside light is out. It's kind of like a warning light that lets you know there is a bulb out on the directionals.

A bulb out in the dash should not effect the outside lights.

Right now ? I'm not working on any year truck ! I sold my panel some time ago. I need to get back in the game !!

Val

5. TimE

TimE Member

Val,
    I think that everone here, whether they actually realize it or not, is glad that you decided to hang around (here & CT) and lend your considerable knowledge to those of us that are still learning about these trucks. I guess what I'm saying is even though your current toy is a F@%d, your presence is appreciated.;)

Thanks,
    Tim

6. dvalentine

Hay ! Thanks !!

For the record, it's only a F@&d on the outside. It's all Chevy underneath !!

val

7. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Thanks to you, Val!!

Many thanks for you're advice it helped with my truck!! Went today and got new everything for the passanger side and still no blinker, I thinking of looking under the truck for a bad wire; may be a loose connection some where, do you think this could be part of the problem?? SORRY for asking for ur help but it seems as though u are the only one who knows about this or will at least answer me. If I was any where near you I buy you a cold one or two. :D thanks again!!!!!!

8. dvalentine

No Problem Cowboy !!

Wiring gremlins can reduce a guy to tears trying to locate problems. The best way I've found is to start at where the problem is located, and one component at a time, work your way back.

The truck's wiring diagram is a valuable piece of information to have in hand.

Start at the offending bulb and work your way back. ( I know,, AGAIN ? ) I've found that 80% of the time electrical problems are traced back to a bad ground.
    MAKE SURE the bulb is good, ( switch the bulb from the left side that you KNOW works), Check the socket closely, if it looks different in any way from the left side, replace it), check the ground wire FIRST, ( remove it from it's grounding point, clean it AND the surface it mounts to down to bare metal with sandpaper, and coat it with dialectic grease), THEN start looking at the wiring. Trace it back to the source of 12 volts... Check the connector at the firewall. Pull it off the firewall, ( it should pull through ), seperate the connector and look at each side. Because it is only the front blinker the problem has to be somewhere between the firewall and the light in the hood.

If both front and rear blinkers were not working, I would suggest looking at the column harness. But you said the rear was working, right ?

FYI, I get down to Austin every now and then, was there in mid-Sept during the hurricane. You can get me that cold one next time around.

GO HORNS !! ;)

Val

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  9. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Thank again Val, u the man!!!

Done next trip to Austin; we need to hook up I gotta cold one with ur name on it!!!! any way yes the rear blinker works and so does the parking light, I have been under the truck this morning and found nothing , so I gotta take it and get it inspected so i may let them chass down the problem , before i do something that I'm gonna regret. :eek:

I'll keep u posted, I live in weatherford ,tx. but i will get u that cold one!!!!!

:cool:

10. dvalentine

Trot on down to your local auto parts/hardware store and pick up one of these. ( If you don't have one already) Use it at the connector at the firewall. Turn blinker ON and test using the probe in the connector. Nothing ? Then the problem is inside the cab.

Just to be sure, turn the left signal ON and test that one as well. The probe tool light should strobe with the directional click.

[​IMG]

11. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

would'nt a test light do the same??
    if it is in the cab , what then??? I have checked the fuse box and cleaned all the termials w/sandpaper and have good contact.

12. dvalentine

Sure ! The ice-pick type probe is easier to get into tight spaces though.

Let's cross that bridge when we get there. ;)

Val