wireing problems

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by texascowboy, Oct 23, 2008.

1. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Howdy, everybody new to the forum and just wanted to say
    'HI" I currently in the process of rebuilding a 65 chevy stepside and have a small problem, I bought a new wiring harness for the head lights and they still dont work on the harness there is a small "pig tail" wire and I was wondering is this a ground wire or what?? also my running lights in the hood are not coming on , the driver side blinks when i work the blinker but the left one does not and neither come on when i engage the running lights, but the back ones do any suggestions, please??? and where are the blinkers loacted in the dash . sorry for all the questions but the dihigram i have does not offer much and its hard to find parts this far west.and i am ready to drive my truck,can anyone help me PLEASE??????? :confused:

2. tiggamonsta

tiggamonsta Member

Have you verified you are getting power to your harness? Does the pigtail go back to one of the pins for the bulb?

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

OK, First off the front parking lights in the hood do not stay on when the headlights are on. They were made that way. There is an easy work-around to get them to stay on, For 60-63 http://www.6066gmcguy.org/parklamp6063.htm.

For 64-66 http://www.6066gmcguy.org/parklamp6466.htm
    This is for a GMC, but it's pretty much the same procedure. You are jumping the parking light circuit into the tail light circuit at the headlight switch.

The direction indicators are located in the gauge cluster at the bottom, left / right corners. ( hint: check the bulbs in the cluster. ALL of mine were burnt out when I first got my truck)
    If there is an outside directional bulb burnt out, either left or right, the direction indicator in the dash won't illuminate, and the corresponding outside directional will be off. If the light is "on" check the other end of the vehicle. If the light is out THAT is the burnt out bulb.

Check ALL the directional bulbs and sockets to make sure they have good ground an the sockets are clean and free of oxidation. A little steel wool masage in the sockets followed by some dilectic grease will keep things in order for a while.

val

I'm not sure about the pig-tail.. Where is it located ? Under hood ? Under Dash ??

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  4. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

thanks for the advice/ val

first let me say thanks, the "pig tail" wire is part of the wires that go to the head lights, know where the 3 prong hook up is that connects to the lights? okay, there is the main wires that go to the prongs on the lights then there is the pig tail wire coming off of that , they are part of the head light assembely in the grill but, i dont know if it is a ground or hot, i have check it and it does not seem to be hot so maybe i am not getting a good ground?? and all the bulbs are new and so is my wireing harnesses and i have replaced all the bulbs for the dash lights, just cant remember where they go???

5. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

i dont think it does, i re painted the grill and the frame so maybe that is causing my problem??? and yes i am getting power but some say the lights in the hood are soupposed to be on with head lights and others say no they are not still confused?????

6. white hope

white hope Member

The running lights only operate when you pole the light switch knob out to the first position once you turn on the headlights the running lights turn off.

7. white hope

white hope Member

If you have verified that you have 12volts going were it needs to go then it's all about proper grounding. With the hood up and looking at the firewall on the right side is where the connections are located the top plug is for the blinkers and running lights the purple wire in that harness supplies your 12v up to the running lights. I had the problem where the 12v was never leaving the light switch in the dash to that harness plug.

The pig tails on the Head light harness are for proper grounding and attach to the backside of each headlight assembly bracket with a small sheet metal screw.

8. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

i garentee that the park lights will not come on when the headlight switch is fully pulled. if you pull your switch apart and see how it works, youll see the connection for the park lights is only there for the first position. read the link dval posted and follow it. thats what i did it and know i have park lights in either position.

9. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

problem solveded??? almost;

went through the wireing today and found out the switch was bad got it replaced and now all lights work ; well almost still dont have blinker on passanger side front, i know its getting power cause the other lights work and the back blinker works but not the front even bought new harness and still no luck and yes i have all new bulbs, any sugesstions??? thanks for the hook up "dvalentine" it came in handy. and thanks to all for ur advice!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008