Wiring Issues

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by psmith, Aug 3, 2008.

1. psmith

psmith Member

I'm working on the wiring in my father-in-laws 58 truck. I've replace the harness with a new after market harness and I'm having trouble with 2 areas.

1) I purchased (through classic parts) a new heater control. It looks pretty straight forward it has 12 volts input then a single wire output to the blower motor. It all seams to work good but when it is low or medium one of the coil starts to glow red. Is this normal?

2) The windshield wiper motor has 3 wires. It appears one is designed to have 12volts when the key is on the other 2 wires when ground create high and low speed. The universal switch I purchased I can not find a way to make low work. No 2 pins are ever connected to the "B" pin. The switch has 5 pins 1 2 3 b w.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I'm not sure about the 58 electric wipers, but the electric wipers on my 57 GMC has just one wire to the motor. The same type of mechanical cable connection was used from the knob to the vacuum or electric motor. On the electric motor that cable moved a switch that was built into the motor.

3. coilover

coilover Member

Yep, normal for the resistor coil in the switch to get very hot on low, hot on medium, and should not get hot on high since it's passing the current on to the motor, not converting some of it to heat.