Wiring starter on second series 55 w/235ci

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by ftrev1, Mar 27, 2011.

1. ftrev1

ftrev1 Member

Trying like heck to get this truck back together before the weather really breaks, spent yesterday putting new wiring harness from Classic Parts. Went very smoothly for the most part, one problem that I see right now is that on the side of the ammeter harness that goes through towards the passenger side of the firewall and down to the starter with 2 wires and the third wire going to the coil I can see clearly that the larger wire/loop goes over the main stud but can see no lower side stud for the smaller wire. My starter looks original (still has floor starter pedal) very closely resembles one of the images in the electrical section of the factory assembly manual with the exception of the side stud, the housing under the button does not appear to have been altered and at least for now I am stymied. I believe they are referring to that wire as some sort of starter resistor bypass. Will try to call classic parts tomorrow and see what there take is on this situation but in the meantime sure was hoping that someone out there may know what to do. Thanks, Frank

2. coilover

coilover Member

Yep, it is a by-pass wire that IF your starter has the stud on the side would feed the coil a full 12v just while the starter is cranking. If your engine fires up without it as most will in all but the coldest weather then just ignore it. Don't hook the other end up to the coil + since that is hot when the keys on and the end that is at the starter can short. I think you can buy the starter switch with the by-pass terminal as a separate item and bolt it on if you want to.