Wiring, tach, other intruments

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by GMC Guy, Jun 8, 2009.

1. GMC Guy

GMC Guy Member

i really want to change around my gauges to eliminate the factory clock (that doesn't work) and replace it with a small fuel gauge. then install a factory style tach in place of the large fuel gauge. anyone know the best way of doing this? i've never installed a tach before so this is all new to me...

also, while i was under the dash, i came across some wires that i've been meaning to find out where they go or where they're from. it's hard to explain what they look like, so i'm going to take some pics soon.

thanks.

2. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

You can buy a used factory tach cluster, check ebay. Bare minimum you will need the tach, fuel gauge, and printed circuit.

I added a stock temp gauge for my transmission and put an autometer tach in the lower left ac vent on my truck. The tach isn't in the best spot, but since I have an auto it works fine for checking idle and cruising rpms.

Attached Files:

• tach.jpg
      tach.jpg
      File size:
      250.8 KB
      Views:
  3. GMC Guy

GMC Guy Member

here are the pics of the mystery wires. one's attached to a light bulb on the gauge cluster and the other three come out of a bundle of wires behind where the cluster goes. the only thing i can think of is maybe they're from the factory radio...

Attached Files:

4. GMC Guy

GMC Guy Member

also i found this little guy bolted to the top of the fuse box and only connected with the clock power wire. they were both connected to the same constant hot lead. i've never seen one of these before, but it does have LMC stamped to the bottom of it...found that quite interesting

Attached Files:

• new.jpg
      new.jpg
      File size:
      121.9 KB
      Views:
  5. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

The wire coming from the gauge cluster is a ground iirc. On my truck the other end of that ended up on top of the ash tray assembly.

The second group of wires does look like the factory radio, although I thought there was a red wire with them: 12V, switched power, ground, and I forget what the gray one was)

Not sure on that last one.

6. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Ok the the line in the first pic and second is a fiber optic line. it tonnel's light to the ash tray. ( it's not a ground ):cool::)

Pontiac1976

7. GMC Guy

GMC Guy Member

dang...fiber optics in my truck? haha :p
    i don't think it works anymore though...i just pulled it out. although it would be kinda cool having light at the ash tray where my ipod is lol
    how can i clean it up to make it work?

8. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

Ah, my '85 didn't come with one, but I went ahead and put it in when I installed the diesel wiring harnesses. Mine doesn't appear to work either (which is why I assumed it was a ground :eek:)

9. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

The first pic that shows the line we are talking about is hooked up to a light bulb( peanut bulb ) if that bulb does not work, it will not show light at the other end.The fiber optics does not shine lots of light but enought to see that area.