wiring temp sensor/sender? 86 c10

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by rtnnhazel, Mar 19, 2008.

1. rtnnhazel

rtnnhazel Member

my truck is kinda barebones. i have a crate 350 and the original fuse block is intact but not much of the original wiring harness, i just dont need most of it. i have a temp SENSOR in the manifold and the 12v wire (pink/black) from the fuse block. is it just a direct hook up? how does this work? do i need a SENDER or a SENSOR? thanks for all the help.-robert

2. Heavy86Chevy

Heavy86Chevy Member

is the motor carburated? does it have a temperature gauge in the dash?

3. rtnnhazel

rtnnhazel Member

thankyou for the reply. yes the motor is carbureted and yes there is a gauge in the dash. i just want to make the gauge work. thanks-robert

4. David Hall

David Hall Member

You most likely need a sending unit, sending units do what they say, send info to a gage. Sensors sense a fault, send it to a OBC and then trigger a check light.
    If you want to keep it bare bones, look for a water port in one of your heads and thread the water temperature sending unit there. The intake setup (most likely in the water neck) is fine also. Usually these type of senders have a single wire.

5. liftedK10

liftedK10 Member

The type of temp sensor you use depends on the gauge in the cluster. if you have just the dummy light that comes on when your engine is hot then the
    sensor is just a grounding switch, its either on or off. if you have the actual temp gauge in the cluster the temp sensor is a one wire hook up and as the coolant warms up it changes the resistance and moves the gauge accordingly. you need to get a temp sensor that applies to your style of gauge, they are both available at most parts stores