wont start with HEI

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by 74X4Burb, Jul 20, 2005.

1. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

swapped the points for HEI on this 71 and now it wont start.got spark got gas. distributor worked in the sub i pulled it out of, been at this 4 hrs and it wont start. flooded it once but I cleaned the plugs.Thanks. Karl

________
    Arizona Marijuana Dispensary

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Did you do ALL of the following ?
    Attach that connector to the BAT connection of the HEI. Run the wire through the firewall through an existing grommet. Look for the PINK wire on the ignition switch under the dash. Cut the HEI wire to a length long enough to reach the back of the ignition switch.
    Using a crimp on wire splicer, connect the HEI wire to the PINK ignition wire a inch or two behind the switch. Install new HEI plug wires, gap the plugs around .040"-.045", hook up the vacuum advance to a ported (no vacuum at idle) source of vacuum on the carburetor.

Make sure that you have the 12 guage wire on the BAT terminal of the HEI and that the other end is either on the pink ignition wire OR a constant 12 volt source off the fuse panel.
    Regapping the plugs is important too.

DVal

3. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

I got it goin, the distributor was off a couple teeth.still wont run under load though.Karl

________
    Cheap glass pipes

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011