Woo hoo

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by 58fleetside, Sep 18, 2010.

1. 58fleetside

58fleetside Member

After a long sabbatical from working on my truck, I finished work on the cooling system and started her up. It fired up in less than one second of starter cranking! Gotta love that 235. It smelled really rich and was running rough so I adjusted the timing by ear (The flywheel is 180 degrees off). Once it got warm enough to unchoke it, everything smoothed out and ran beautifully.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Correct Dynamic Ignition Timing

After you've adjusted the valves (yes , I know you did it once , do it again) , you can time it dead bang by connecting a vacuum gauge to the manifold port below the carby and start it and warm it up , set the idle speed to 700 ~ 1,000
    RPM and watch the gauge as you ever so slowly and carefully twist the dizzy ~ as the timing advances ,the gauge's needle will begin to rise ~ what you're looking for is the highest , steady vacuum reading . it can be anywhere from 15" to 21" but the important thing is to get the ' twitch ' out of the needle .

Now , you're good to go and can adjust the carby mixture screw and final idle RPM's down to 400 ~ 600 depending on your liking , it'll shift better the lower the idle speed is .

If you simply cannot get it to idle well until the vacuum is 15" or less , you have a vacuum leak somewheres .

I hope this helps .