Wood Slat Dimensions

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Longhorn, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I was woundering if anyone outh there had the dimensins for the wooden slats in the back is a 50 shortbed. I am making a custom truck and my original bed is completely gone so I have no place to start in making new ones. I don't want the oak or pine boards would like to use something with a little more caracter. I also don't want to have to order replacement wood just to get the measurments. Any help or directions to get this info would be appreciated.

2. mel 55_1

mel 55_1 Member

There are a couple of sites that have the dimensions posted, try this one:

http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/bedwood.htm

And, in case you need to think about the cross sills, there should be four of them:
    • one attached to the front bed panel
    • one just before the frame kick up
    • one behind the frame kick up
    • one at the rear which contains the pads to bolt the bed to the frame and hold the rear of the bed together.

Best of luck getting the wood and cutting it to size. Let us know how it works out

Mel

3. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Thax thats great information
    I however am still a little confused about all the notches and slots I understand what they ate there for but thoes dashed lines arn't doing it for me mayby someone out there has an actual picture of these boards? just to give me a better idea, again I don't know exactly what these boards look like as mine were completaly roted out and the wear bars are almose non-existant due to the rust on them. Keep in mind the truck had been sitting since 75 in a wreaking yard.

Was also woundering my bro has a 56 and my father a 65 would the boards look relativly similar with different dimensions as described, or would that not even be a good starting point?

Thankx again for any help.

I attached a photo maybe this will give you guys a good idea what happened to the bed. But don't let the rust fool you there is little "Cancer" here just in the lowere cowl/kick panel and the driver side cab corner. Other than that miner bit of work the truck is pretty prime and ready for her makeover.
    Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/43acf0f607c41b3a.jpg

4. mel 55_1

mel 55_1 Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-05 AT 02:47 AM (CST)]This one should give you a better idea, there are some photos and a sketch of the board edges.

http://50chevy.freeservers.com/Bed_Restoration.html

Or, as Nate says on the thread that's running on Angle Strips, get Chevy Duty's bed rebuilding booklet.

Mel

5. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Ok thats great now I get it. I just could not visualize what thoes line pictures were trying to represent in the other website thanks again

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Saved Another One !

Cool ! I am always glad to see another old nail pulled out of a wreckng yard and put back on the road , I bet it's a typical old Texas truck that's had the paint sand blasted off by years of outdoor use .

-Nate

7. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

RE: Saved Another One !

Nate you Nailed that one right on the head. Won't be a work horse when shes done though.