You Dip Stick

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 77chevyman, Mar 22, 2003.

1. 77chevyman

77chevyman Member

My dip stick broke off! Don't laugh, it really did x( . About 3 to 4 inches is gone! what happened to it? How do I get it out? Can I remove the oil pan on a 2wd with out pulling the motor? Has any one ever had this happen? She is going to sit in the drive-way until I figure this one out, so please help!!!

2. 79Scottsdale

79Scottsdale Member

A similar thing happened to me. If it is stock, it broke most likely due to wear and tear, and temperature fluctuations, a new stick should be easy to locate. What I would suggest doing is trying to fish it out with a magnet,( either from the top where you add oil or from the drain plug; once all the oil is out.) If this doesn't work you should be able to pull of the pan fairly easy, good luck.

79Scottsdale

Daniel

3. AC_DC_2001

AC_DC_2001 Member

If you can't pull the rest off and have to pull the oil pan off, you should be able to pull it off without raising the motor. I've been told that you can only do this on the narrow cross member frames, but I have a wide one and got it with little trouble. It's a little cramped but my hands got to all the bolts, and I have fairly big hands.

Robert

4. 77chevyman

77chevyman Member

This was a new chrome after market dip stick. What could make it break? The broken end looked like a piece of wire you were trying to break by bending it back and forth. Could it be just a cheap dip stick? If i had a better understanding of what happened I could prevent it from happing again? Thanks in advance!:7