Zig? Wolf? Need some GMC help, please...

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by SinclairChevy, May 29, 2012.

1. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Greetings folks,

A buddy of mine recently purchased what is titled as a 1949 GMC pick-up. It may not be rare to most, but I've never seen one... it's a half-ton long bed. Anyway, he knew I was working on a similar-era Chevy and was asking me some questions about it... some of which I couldn't answer.

The first question is: what engine is in the truck? I told him it was probably a 228, but that I wasn't certain. Here is a shot of the engine:

[​IMG]

A shot at the opposite side of the engine revealed some repair work to a cracked block:

[​IMG]

Were Chevy and GMC trucks pretty equal in the minor styling changes throughout the production run? For example, Chevy started the vent windows in the doors in '51, the push-button door handles in '52... etc. My buddy's truck has both, the vent windows and push-button door handles. I just didn't know if GMC and Chevy mirrored their modifications as the production runs went along. Is there a way to decode the VIN? I know that sometimes the title went by the engine number. I just thought there might be a way to tell the truck's age by the number stamped into the tag in the door frame. Here's a shot of the tag:

[​IMG]

It appears the number is: 102 22 P 56868

Any comments or thoughts would be great. He's planning on putting wheels and tires on this thing, installing the gas tank he bought from me, and making a driver out of it. Near future plans include lowering the suspension.

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!

Damon

PS. I can take some overall photos of the truck after he gets it off the trailer. It was in tight quarters and I couldn't get a decent shot of it.

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

The serial number decodes as follows: "10" is a 1/2 ton truck, "2" designates long wheelbase, "22" designates a 228 cu. in. engine, "P" stands for the Pontiac, Michigan plant and "56868" is the sequence number.

Isn't it strange that we've seen engine block damage in the same location on both this truck and Raz's truck in such a short period of time.

Ken

3. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Thanks, Ken!! I knew someone would be able to fill in the blanks. Is there any way to figure out where "56868" fell into the years of production? The other information confirmed the half-ton long bed we already knew, and the 228 engine I was guessing about.

Yes, it is odd about both engines failing in the same area. I wonder if it was a design issue, or an issue with improper maintenance?

Thanks again for your help!

Damon

4. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

I just found a chart via a Google search that shows production number "56868" as falling into the 1949 production year... as the title says. So, the question remains: Did GMC offer vent windows and push-button exterior door handles a few years before Chevy?

Thanks again.

Damon

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Not that I am aware of. It may be an old restoration, or someone switched up the doors to take advantage of the extra cooling offered by the modernized vent windows. Look and see if there appears to be a repaint on the doors. Look behind panels to see if there is a different color than behind other panels.

6. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Thanks, Russ! I kinda figured both companies would have introduced the modifications at the same time, but I wasn't sure. I will go back and take a closer look at the truck to see if I can find evidence of an earlier restoration or a door swap.

Damon

7. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I agree with Russ on this. Both Chevy and GMC came out with vent windows on the '51 model. The door handles were of the pull down variety. That is the only year that you will see that combo. '52 was the first year for both trucks to have push button door handles.

8. Zig

Zig Member

Glad I could help!

I wasn't sure about the doors, since my '52 has wing windows AND pull down handles. :confused:

The cracked block has me a bit cornserned, however. :eek:

I guess I need to really start looking for a 283! (I believe they will accept the original transmission so everything else can stay put.?) :rolleyes:

9. ccharr

ccharr Member

Paul,
    If your block is not cracked now, Winter protection is all that is needed, or if you must a high horse power GTO engine.

Charles

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Jimmy !

That engine is JUNK ! you should crate it and send to me....... :rolleyes: :p .

Seriously , the block isn't cracked , it's rusted through in the water jacket , this happened because of poor maintenance plus a bit of ' core shift ' when the block casting was originally poured .

Make sure he does a MAJOR BRAKE JOB before driving it anywheres ! .

Yes , 1/2 T longbeds were uncommon but not necessarily rare .

11. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

He's gonna rework the brakes when he finds wheels and tires for it. Already talked to him about needing to be able to stop. :D

I only said more 'rare' because this one was the first one I've seen in person. All other long beds I've seen were three-quarter ton trucks. Very cool to see the half-ton long bed.

I'll keep ya posted on his plans/progress with the truck.

Damon

12. ccharr

ccharr Member

The long beds have 9 ft. beds, standard is 6 or 8.:cool:

13. Zig

Zig Member

Ummm~

Charels, I thought you (and others) have been trying to hint that this was my problem for quite some time now. :confused:

:D

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Naw !

It's those dang BUCK TEEF !! :D .

(glad I'm far from where you can smack me right now)

15. Zig

Zig Member

Knock Knock

Right now, Nate is thinking to himself, "Now who could THAT be, knocking on my door?!) :D

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good Thing !

I'm at the shop..... :p .

17. ccharr

ccharr Member

Not sure where you got that, at?? Just been trying to get you to take that truck to the dentist is all. :cool:
    Now as far as the water jacket problem I have never seen you write anything on the subject, was just wondering why you wanted to put the great majestic, the ever magnificent, always the most impressive by far, the ostentatious 283 Chevy engine in your G :confused: ?

18. Zig

Zig Member

riiiight~

Simply because it is an awesome little block. Enough of that l-o-n-g motor envy! :rolleyes: