zinc rich vs self etching primer

Discussion in 'Paint & Body' started by mojo rising, May 12, 2009.

1. mojo rising

mojo rising Member

What's the diff? Am planning on priming a door.......Someone educate me.

2. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

I,ve never used it Mojo, But From what i Understand Zinc rich is more for Commercial type Equipment, I,ve never Heard of it Used in the Vehicle Painting Industry. Dont Mean Some Dont use it though.

Only Thing i,ve Used Self Etch primer for is Aluminum or Stainless steel . I,d Stick to a Good Nonsanding etch Primer Followed by a good 2K Urothane Primer . Just My Opinion though .

I Retired in 2000 from the Kustom Paint & Restoration Shop Biz of 45 years or so , & Thats what allways Worked For Me . But I,m not Quite up to date with some of the Newer Products either . :D , Best of Luck . Bob

3. 4JSAToo

4JSAToo Member

Iv'e done the same..Etch over bare steel and 2k urothane over all. Now-a-days I guess Epoxy primer does it all..
    Bob

4. 53 chevy

53 chevy Member

Self etch and Zinc Primers A Fast Crash Course on Primers

Hi Guys, I've been in the restoration business for 40 years now and recently was a Collision Repair Instructor at a Tech School for 5 Years

Zinc Rich primers are for industrial usage but can be used on Cars as long as you topcoat it with a Quality 2k primer that you can sand.
    The zinc basically replaces the Galvanizing in the metal when you sand or grind it off, You must then replace this galvanizing with zinc primer
    Epoxy Primer is the Best Corrosion resistant Primer next to EDP Electro Deposition Primer (E-Coat) which is done when the car body is dipped in a vat at the factory with a Negative charge on the primer and a Positive charge on the body which then sticks to every part of the body then baked.
    Epoxy primer is the best anti-rust and build primer but it still needs Primer-Surfacer to build for bodywork and Blocking
    Here are some Guidelines Use at your own Discretion
    Zinc Primer - 1 coat Wash first, Watch out for Acid Etch 1 coat only
    Self Etch Primer- 1 coat Wash first, Watch out for Acid Etch 1 coat only
    Epoxy Primer 2 coats
    Primer Surfacer 2-4 coats
    2k Primer 2 coats Good Luck Guys