1952 Rear Axle

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by kg4mon, May 25, 2007.

1. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Ya'll know what I did to my 3800. I have absolutely nothing against customizing even though I went much closer to original than custom. Really, my wheels were the most radical thing I did and I probably would have restored the originals had they not been rusted up split rims.
    Just think about what mine would have looked like if I had:
    1.Put a late model suburban front clip with disc brakes and dropped the front about 3 inches.
    2.Spread the rear fenders and flared the back of the running boards to fit the wider fenders.
    3.Added dual wheels.
    4.Maxed out the interior with steering to match the late model front end and comfortable seats.
    5.Went with a 350/350 turbo/410 ratio rear drive train.
    As long as my 3800 is the lowering and widening of the rear would make it look even longer. We are talkin' lead sled, Man!
    See, even us old guys who take them back to (near) original, still have ideas.
    Gater

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

If I were to go moons, they'd be full moons with moon eyes at the bottom of the front fenders. Say, that's not a bad idea!

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I think I still have the set on screw-on Moon disks my daughter gave me for Christmas in 1990, shortly after I bought my truck. She said that would keep it from looking like a "farm truck". At the time the truck had turquoise paint that was a little better than rattle can and white grille, bumpers, headlight doors, etc. I have a set of MoonEyes laying around somewhere.

Let me know if you want them, Ken. I'll drag them down from the attic Sunday when we go to the Classy Chassis show.

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Bill, I'd loved to have a set of MoonEyes. I might even put them on my Tahoe. See you at 10 on Sunday!!

5. kg4mon

kg4mon Member

Pineville, Ky is in the southeast corner of Ky, It's where KY, Virginia, TN, Meet. I'm about 1 hour north of Knoxville Tn. It's funny someone mentioned the baby moons and flat black paint because that was one of the ideas I had for this truck. I want to keep a 6 cyl. in this truck, seems like alot of people do the v-8 swap but I'm kinda tired of that. When you go the shows they're almost all the same. well except for paint color. That's why we got out of the street rods. There's no danger that this truck will be taken apart and not put back together. I have restored and built; 65 mustang, 2-68 camaros, 1-68 camaro convertible, 69 camaro, 54 ford truck, 62 thunderbird,56 thunderbird, 32 highboy ford, 37 plymouth, 34 chevy sedan, 69 GTO, 67 nova, 53 dodge truck that I still have and working on and I have a 58 buick. Whew!!! didn't realize that I have owned that many. I used to run a body shop in Cumberland Gap, Tn that all we did was corvettes, Man I don't miss that at all.!! No wonder My wife frowned when I came home with this truck.

6. Zig

Zig Member

Billlllll!

Ewwwwwww!!!

Owwwwwww!!!

I'm crushed....

rattle-rattle

7. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

I don't know Ken I'm a big fan of Flat black truck, red wheels and a new set of baby moons. But then again in the winter those full moons could double as a sled. Just don't spray the bottom of them like chevy chase did.:eek::D

You're right KG a lot of street rods are starting to look a lot alike and it's getting very hard to come up with new and different idea's. Oh well I'm still going that way. I'd love to see that car collection of yours. And the corvette thing, a man after my own heart. The only thing I love more than my wife is a corvette (Just kidding Tab:D).

8. kg4mon

kg4mon Member

The only thing I have now is the 53 dodge truck, 58 buick and the 52 chevy truck. I will try to post some pics. the dodge and the buick are all original that's one reason I didn't want to go completely orginal with the chevy. BUT my dad had one when I was 8 years old and I LOVED that old truck. It was red and I called it old betsy.

9. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Pineville is not that far from Norris, TN and the Museum of Appalachia. I plan to bring my son down on the weekend of the 4th to watch them shoot anvils. It should be a hoot! If you like that kind of thing. Course I am sure they will have pork rinds, barbeque and homemade ice cream too.
    Gater

10. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Hey kg4mon, humor me. I'm an old geezer, and i'm not used to these "handles". My name is Ken, what's yours? One thing about this forum is that we talk alot, digress (is that a word?, i'm hooked on phonics, you know), kid with each other, so it's easier if we know your name and what you want to accomplish.

I wonder why you don't want to go "original" with your chevy truck, if you've done so with your Dodge and your Buick. If you've gone back original with your Buick, please post some pics. That's a classic (in my mind) body style and is worthy of us to "pick apart".

11. Chiro

Chiro Member

Mmmmmmmm....did somebody say "Bar-B-Que????"

Andy

12. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

You're on the wrong side of the mason dixon

You guys in New York know what good bar b q is. If not come on down here and we'll show you what it's about. Another treat will be a big ol glass of sweet tea. I know from experience that up there they don't have that. But while you're on your way down bring us poor southern folk down a good pizza and a killer hot dog.:p

13. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Oh $hit!

This is a subject that i said to myself that i would never participate in! Regional food! Of course, Andy started it months ago with his Yankee Gumbo statement! Louisiana has the only true gumbo. California has the only tofu/avocado burger! Texas, bring on the BBQ! I love southern pulled pork bbq, but you haven't lived 'till you've had briskett so tender that it melts in your mouth or sausage links that will make you cry until you've had a six pack of Shiner Bock just so you can taste anything again! Did I mention the National fruit of Texas, jalapeno peppers? Separates the men from the boys!

Did I mention that I wouldn't talk about this controvesial subject?

14. Zig

Zig Member

NFL's BEST B-B-Que!!!

That's found here in KC~ as reported on "Monday Night Football's" B-B-Que contest. I take my grilling serious, however, there is this flaming foto that I can't get out of my mind...
    Father's Day is coming and I've told my wife about this cookbook that was to be posted on this web site. Nutz, no cookbook yet.
    I guess I'll just have to make my own as I take my truck apart. Once I do this, it may never be put back together again anyway, so I might as well make some dough somehow!?
    A good truck is like a good meal~ The thought/taste keeps coming back to you.

15. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

So, everyone picked up on the comment I made about barbeque but nobody said, "What the heck is shooting anvils?" Does that mean that everyone knows what that is? I had never heard of it until last year. To me, it is one of those things that fathers and sons need to share.
    They turn an anvil over and fill the hole in the bottom with gun powder. Then the sit another anvil on top of it and light the powder. They say the top anvil goes about 100 feet into the air. Neat, huh?
    Gater

16. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Sounds rather childish. Where do I sign up?:D Just don't let me around them with a rubber hammer because my grandfather used to swear that I could tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer!:eek:

17. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Ken,
    Funny, my Dad used to say the same about me. Here is a pic I found. Note the anvil high in the sky.

Attached Files:

18. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I just Googled ...

... "shooting anvils" and got 100 hits. Seems to be mostly a SouthEast US activity. There is a National Anvil Shooting Contest put on by the World Anvil Shooting Society in Laurel Ms each April until all the members are killed.

19. kg4mon

kg4mon Member

For those wondering kg4mon is a FCC Radio Call Sign, I'm also a Ham Radio Operater. My name is Rick. Norris Tn, is about 45 minutes from pineville. I have been to the museum a few times, usually the fall festival they have around october.

20. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Apparently it started in the hills of Appalachia on the 4th of July. They probably did it at other times as well but this was the day that they celebrated the most. You must remember, many of the families that are here now, including mine, have been in these mountains since the revolutionary war. Things are changing rapidly as we are being invaded by folks from all 4 points of the compass. Low crime, no state income tax, great property values, history and beauty. I am glad that they are holding to tradition. They didn't have fireworks and lazer shows so this is how they celebrated. I am sure that the 4th of July, no matter what it means to us, meant more to them. It had only been a very few years since the US was formed. They had fought for every square inch that they had and it was a real celebration. I pray to God that we never have to do that on this soil again. I wonder if we, as a society, would have the resolve this time around. Any day that the majority leader in the Senate can stand up and say that we are defeated in war while we still have personnel in the field, and get by with it, is a sad day indeed.
    Bill