1952 Rear Axle

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by kg4mon, May 25, 2007.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

' Shooting Anvils '

You know I picked up on it but I figured someone else would explain it to me and sure enough , you did .

I was thinking maybe a catapault..... :eek:

Anyone here ever hear of piano racing ? .

I don't think they do it anymore , was done mostly by colledge kids .

-Nate

2. Zig

Zig Member

Gee Wizz

Cool picture, Gater! Since school's out, that looks like the way my wife has to get me outa bed in the morning! Especially after I've spent most of the night listening to killer 70's music that someone sent me!:cool:

3. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

Rick,

2 easy choices on the rear end.

First, do what Nate and i did, it really works very well, sm240 and 355:1 in the torque tube.

Second, you can keep the sm420, find a later model sm420 (post 54) and change out the rear trany cover and yolk, making it an open drive. You will have to have a slip yolk driveshaft made. then tie it to any rear end.

i was going that way until the 67 chevy truck rear i salvaged was full of heavy rust. I punted and rebuilt the torque tube and slipped in Patrick's gears.

I have a spare sm420 open drive rear cover and yolk, but no speedo gears.

No regrets.

Jim

4. Zig

Zig Member

Great Job, Jim!

I just checked you photos! Looks like a fantastic job you did there, Jim! Lots of questions, I'll probably just pm you.
    I didn't notice a bar-b-que grill around your worksite~ Is it possible to do a total rebuild without one???:D

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yes of course ~ jusat schlepp your parts on down to Andy's place..... :D

-Nate

6. kg4mon

kg4mon Member

Is there anybody else running s-10 diff's

I sent a message to kevin's 48 to ask him about his s-10 diff in his truck. Anybody else running these diff's? I found some at a local junk yard but they are 59 1/4 wide instead of the original 62" that is in my truck. I dont want to run wheel tubs in the bed so what kinda of backspacing on the wheels? Do you have to run wheel spacers?

7. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

4x4 S-10 axel

If I remember right, the rear axel on a 4x4 s-10 are closer to the right width.Chris

8. kg4mon

kg4mon Member

This was a 4x4 S-10 Blazer 2001 model. The S-10 Trucks are more narrow.

9. brit 50

brit 50 Member

confused

excuse me for being a little slow here but couldnt they find something a little lighter and more aerodynamic to fire than an anvil:eek:

I wonder what bright spark thought of that one, if you were gonna hold a competition for firing an object in england and you suggested an anvil, you would probably end up on your back with a busted nose for being so bloody stupid:rolleyes:
    ________
    Marijuana bubbler

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Don't Be Obtuse Neil....

That's the whole bloody idea ! :p it's a silly thing to do .

We have fruitcake catapaults and all manner of wierdness .

:D

11. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Hey Brit,
    Where in the heck do you think the folks who lived n these mountains came from? Most came from England, Scotland or Ireland. You can blame it on whichever one you choose. Best I can tell, my ancestors come from England in the mid 1700's. They became very patriotic very early as the nation birthed and grew. As you can see from the info below, they were just trying to celebrate the best they could given what they had. I am going to the July 4 anvil shoot to celebrate like they did. To me it is not just being proud of my country, it is also being proud of my heritage in these blue mountains. Is it crazy by todays standards to blow an anvil up to 500 feet in the air? Yes. Is it fun? Hell yes!!!

For inquiring minds, here is the best history I could find.

12. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Gater, word of caution!

OK, so ancestry.com says you've got English, Scottish and maybe Irish roots. Be careful when you shoot them anvils. And if you have more Scottish blood in you, DON'T SHOOT AN ANVIL IN A KILT! You might blow off your road draft tube:eek::eek::eek:

Have fun, but remember another one of my old sayings: "It's all fun and games 'til someone gets an eye put out!"

13. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Ken,
    You got it, Man!

I read up a little more on it. I found it odd that this was a southern thing and that they were celebrating the 4th of July right after the Civil War. After all, they had ceceded from and fought 4 long years against the country that was born on the 4th. Then I remembered in the book, "Stealing the General" about how the Rebs continued to celbrate the 4th all the way through the war. I reckon there are a lot of instances where things seem odd in civil war. All that shared history does not go away over night.

The article also discussed a lot about the kind of anvils and the kind of powder. This ain't something that you want to do at home.
    I will make sure that my draft tube stays on!!!

Gater

14. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Pointless exercise

Hey, If i told you a story about how we celebrate some day by firing a hunk of cast iron weighing in excess of 400lb as high as possible, you'd just think i was plain lying:rolleyes: or talking about the space shuttle;)

come on guys, im all for a bit of fun an games but this is taking the pointless to the extreem!
    ________
    Old man young

15. brit 50

brit 50 Member

global warming????

Could global warming be caused by the worlds rotation being thrown off ballance (just like a spinning top if you touch it with a finger, it goes all wobbly for a while) by a load of dumb a**ses firing anvils up and letting them crash to the ground? its a serious concern and needs investigating:confused:

By the way, yes i know most of your ancestors came from the UK but there was a reason we got rid of them, someone who wants to mess with anvils and explosives definately needs to be deported:p
    ________
    Accord hybrid

16. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

This old hillbilly dumba$$ will post some neat photos of anvils flying if I come back from our 4th celebration alive. The good news is, I've got a hard head.

I just don't see why you guys don't think this is an awesome thing to do. It has heavy metal, black powder, explosions, extreme noise and danger. What more could a guy want? Well, having a hot babe in a bathing suit to serve up cold ones while we watched would be even better but you can't have everything.

Gater

17. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

What! No chicks in thongs?

Dude! Say it ain't so! What about the girls of the WWF? Girls Gone Wild? I'm still with you! Better yet! How about Anglia's being catapulted? And a James Bond "look a like" contest, with Julia Child catering bangers and mash? Or figgy pudding and a nice sheppard's pie. These are the very culinary delights that keep our relatives so slim across the pond! I'm so depressed about all of this that I think i'll "Chicken fry" a whole cow tomorrow and make 3 gallons of cream gravy to smother it in!

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Who Sez We Don't ?

Soounds good to me , I'm eagerly awaiting pictures ! :D

No one responded to my query I see .

-Nate

19. Chiro

Chiro Member

Okay Nate. I'll bite.

WHAT is piano racing? BTW, please provide pictures of same if possible. After all, we have pictures of flying anvils, don't we?

Andy

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Speaking Of Absurdities (Piano Racing)

It's no wonder I've not heard of it since the 1960's :

You take a couple of old upright pianos and an equal number of piece of wood with a 12" hole in it and have some college kids reduce the pianos to fit through the hole......

Whomever gets thier piano through the hole 1st. , wins .

Simple but quite a bit of frenetic activity , using axes and sledge hammers.....

As the paino is my favorite instument I'm not fond of it but like I said,I've not seen it on the news in many years . there used to be pianos in almost 50 % of American households......

When I were a laddie , Chickering pianos could be had for pennies or even free on trash day , more's the pity .

Are we having fun to-day ? It's hot here in La-La Land, I got to ride in a 1936 Ford ForDor Sedan this morning , then I rode home in a 1938 Packard 120 4 door sedan with only 87,000 original miles , it had been put up in 1943.....