63 longbed fleetside

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by audioclass, Aug 12, 2006.

1. audioclass

audioclass Member

dvalentine, another question. I'm not too familiar with electrical, and I'm just wondering, when you put the 350 HO into your 64, what steps did you have to take (if any) to make the move to the newer alternators? I notice classic parts sells an externally regulated alternator to internally regulated harness for the 63-66 models. Should I take this to mean that the 63+ models did NOT have a generator?

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Beau,

I went to a one-wire 100 amp alternator before I swapped in the HO 350 crate. Our hosts here at Classic Parts sell a One-Wire Conversion harness for about $15. Going to a one-wire eliminates the voltage regulator. the conversion harness makes the effort a half hour job, ( including the removal of the old generator/alternator and voltage regulator), and looks nice and tidy under the hood. All the gauges will also function normally afterward too.
    I used the same harness in a 72 Chevelle I built a few years back too. Works like a charm !

DVal

3. audioclass

audioclass Member

Excellent, just what I needed to know, thank you.

4. audioclass

audioclass Member

Alright, time for an update. Work is in progress as of today. I have my engine, I went with the ZZ4 Crate. I also have my transmission, found a used 700r4 in great condition for the price of free, and sent it off to prince racing for a tight buildup. Bit pricey but well worth it. New tranny cooler, big shot 2400-2800 stall converter, nice deep aluminum trannny pan, as well as bowtie overdrives' TV system and brake switch lockup wiring, all in addition to the actual transmission build & shift kit. I also picked up a B&M light truck megashifter, some autometer gauges, a set of full length hooker super comp headers, and some other random necessities.

Today I started yankin stuff out of the engine bay with a friend of mine. I'm hoping to get everything out on friday so I can start cleaning and degreasing the engine bay and frame/crossmember for paint. If anyone in the NH area is looking for a running 283 send me an offer. The powerglide has a future home already.

Got the radiator out, fan, hoses and wiring all unhooked. Only thing left is before the engine/trans come out is the exhaust and mounts. A couple before and after pictures, click for larger size.

Before:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And After:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]