Ground between body and frame ....

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Haasman, Nov 12, 2023.

1. Haasman

Haasman Member

I was looking through manuals etc for how the cab and frame were originally connected on the 47-54 Chevy pickup and didn't find anything.

Anyone point out the ground location(s)?

Haasman

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
    vwnate1 likes this.
  2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I can't exactly recall but the previous trucks used a braided strap between the bettery box and bell housing .

In general you want one thick ground cable/strip (no less than 1 gauge) between the driveline and frame to ensure good cranking and quick re charging, it's also wise to add grounding cables / straps between the front sheet metal and the driveline, this makes for brighter headlights even with the 12 volt system .

You're near S.F. and there are plenty of self service junkyards near you go on a walk and look under the hoods of cars imports as well as domestics, you'll find lots and lots of woven / braided ground cable between the hoods and firewalls, firewalls and engines etc. , grab more than a few and add them to the cab/frame, bed/frame, front fenders/core support / frame to make all the lights work better, the fuel gauge more accurate and the radio quieter .

Electricity is lazier than I am so adding grounds is always a good idea and using those dirt cheap factory ground straps makes them look original .

I even harvest the self tapping screws used or the bolts with star typ lock washers .

3. Haasman

Haasman Member

Thanks Nate. Yes these grounds are so important. Your call out of ".... cab/frame, bed/frame, front fenders/core support / frame to make all the lights work better, the fuel gauge more accurate and the radio quieter..." is so right on.

Aside from the odd bad connectors on the front park/turn signal gremlins (what a journey) the grounds must be verified. I powder-coated the frame after sandblasting it, and made sure I used star washers throughout to ensure good connections.

Attached Files:

vwnate1 likes this.
  4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

As it turns out, powder coating is a mixed bag and often not the best way to go, mostly in salt road areas and on work rigs .

I grew up in New England and have far too much experience with rusty old vehicles that had poor lighting .

5. Haasman

Haasman Member

totally agree about powder coating .... at the moment of deciding what to do with the old truck I met a new friend who insisted he blast it and coat it for me. Living in N. Calif I felt it was a good way to go.