How to wire an AD

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ol' chebby, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Zig

Zig Member

I'm cold now!

Wow~ what a great thread to reread! 6 degrees with a -8 wind chill? I think I'll go bask in the sunshine and enjoy the feel of sweat popping out!

Russ, you sound like you are in the same spot as me. Finish building, get back to work on truck!

Can't wait!

2. booger

booger Member

Oh yes it indeed HOt and hoomid here. great work on the wiring :D

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thread Hijacks Are FUN !

Indeed ! :p it's been well over 100° F here for a week now , no sign of letting up .

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Finally, back at it. Follow the service manual or assembly manual to run wires in factory locations. Make your connections just like the factory.

Here is the fender connection for the headlights and park lights...
    DSCN6966.jpg

The front harness should run in fron of the radiator, under the hood latch panel. Be shure to secure it.

5. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

Russ,

Do you have a photo of the wiring harness running across the radiator? I have the clips that are used to hold it in place, but like always the Assembly Manual is for the '54 and does not show these clips. Are the clips attached using the 4 bolt holes that secure the upper shield to the radiator support?

Greg

6. wokri

wokri Member

Hello ol' chebby,
    were did you buy the wiring harness?
    Wolfgang

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The harness is from EZ wire. I have seen a few trucks that have the harness run at the top of the latch panel with clips that go under the top bolts, but most run under the panel Maybe that is a year specific or plant specific thing. There are some threaded inserts in the top corners of the radiator support that the clips may go into also.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  8. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

Russ,

Does this look correct for a '51?

Greg

Attached Files:

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

When I have seen it run outside, that is the way it was done. I don't know if it is a 51 thing or not.

10. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I finished the grounds and attatched the battery, IT LIVES....and no smoke.

DSCN6987.jpg
    DSCN6988.jpg

A few last tips....GROUNDS. Ground everything. Engine to frame, battery to frame, cab to frame, bed to frame. Grounds will make everything work better.

When running harness down frame, use factory clips as much as possible. Make shure the harness does not move or vibrate anywhere, or chafing will eventually cause a short.
    Always use grommets.
    Zip ties are your friend.
    Heat shrink works wonders and seals out the weather.
    If you have to run a wire through a panel or a channel, such as the dome light wire, first tie a string around the old wire before pulling it out. Now tie the new wire to the string and pull it back through.
    NAPA sells a fuse box that makes a great place to attatch accessories. It has 8 spots for blade connections. I run one on switched power and one on constant power. I mounted them on my steering column support along with a buss bar for the ground. Now when you have to hook up the new toys, you just tag the fuse box and connect the ground. I'll post pic.s of this soon.

Plan ahead. Use the wiring diagrams, pictures, truck digrams, accessory wiring diagrams. Make yourself notes on what needs to connect where.
    Do your bench work first, to make the inside job easier. Pull one system at a time. Make a punchlist if there is something you need to come back to.

Don't mke it any more difficult than it has to be. Overthinking it will just freak you out. It is pretty simple....power comes from the battery, goes through the circuit and goes to ground.

Good luck.

11. Zig

Zig Member

Great photos! I love the Florida plate holder on the front! (For some reason, I thought you lived in Texas...) Looks like all you have left to do is put the bed in?

Thanks for posting all your "build" pictures. They are a great help for all us visual learners!

12. smfulle

smfulle Member

Chainsaws

What part of the electrical do you use the chainsaws on?:D

13. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

No chainsaws, but sometimes a hammer is needed. I'm in Charlotte, NC The truck is going to Florida. Never been to Texas, but I saw it across the river when I was a kid.

14. Zig

Zig Member

Does this mean???

Aww shucks~ This must mean it's going to a new owner then~ I was thinking you were making that to keep. But that must mean that you'll be keeping your next project, the ratrodded G:D

15. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Nah, my 51 is the only one not for sale.....The others are to support my habit.

16. BIG CHEVY 3600

BIG CHEVY 3600 Member

17. aggiejon

aggiejon Member

What did you use to shrink the heat shrink? heat gun, butane torch, cig lighter, zippo?

Just curious what works the best with the least danger of smoking the whole harness.

18. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Cig. lighter is the easiest. Just keep the flame moving.

19. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Heat shrink

I leave all my heat shrinking till the end then get the black and red adjustables out (oxy acetelene) and do it all in one hit! Ifn it's a G then I just keep putting logs on to keep the fire going:D

20. Zombie54

Zombie54 Member

Started un wireing my truck yesterday. A few quick questions. How does the headlight knob come off to get the switch out didn't want to pull to hard. And does the 12 circuit kit from ez wiring come with all the circutis needed including dome light I looked on there web site and it listed just about everything that I needed except dome light? My truck is going to be close to stock as far as acc. go but it will have power shaved door handles and an electric fan will the 12 circuit be enough?