How to wire an AD

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ol' chebby, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

2. Zombie54

Zombie54 Member

Hey thanks ken. Indeed it will come in handy and for everything else too. Pictures are nice sometimes.

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Pull the knob all the way out, then feel around for a little button on the bottom of the light switch. Push the little button and pull the knob the rest of the way out.

I'll have to look at the 12 circ. kit.

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

If it doesn't have a dome light circuit, you can just run a hot wire up to the dome and hook it up. I found a fuse block from NAPA that holds 8 blade fuses. I ran 2 of them, 1 switched for key on accessories, 1 constant. Later if you need to hook up accessories, just plug into one of the terminals, put in a fuse and go, no wire tapping and splicing. I mounted them to the underside of the steering column support.

5. bowtiesr4me

bowtiesr4me Member

Hey ol'chebby,
    I have read your "how to wire" thread over and over but cannot find a answer. I have looked at youe pic of the switch and mine is the exact switch but do I run a jumper to the dome and what about the STOP wire terminal?
    I have run all of my wires (ez kit) but now I have some that I don't know what to do with, Hope you can help.
    I'm using my original '48 light switch for starters the fuse box has a WHITE wire coming from it marked DOME LIGHT and then there is a WHITE wire coming from the dome light it self , there is only one screw terminal on the light switch, which wire goes there and then where does the other wire go?
    Then I also have a wire terminal on the switch for the Stop light but no wire from the fuse box marked stop, just TAIL and PARK. I am verrrry confused now!
    also there is a PINK wire marked IGN SWITCH IGN coming from the fuse box but the instructions do not tell where its is to go.
    I have called and e-mailed EZ but no responce.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanx,

Mike

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The white wire goes to the dome light terminal, then it grounds through mounting screw. Tie a string around the old wire before pulling it out. Tie new wire to other end of string and pull through, makes it much easier.

Your new harness should have a brake power wire, orange, I think , that goes to the brake switch, then a brake light wire, white, that goes from switch to the brake lights.
    See 1st pic. in post #2, the orange and white wires that hang near the brake switch. The other end of the Orange may have to hook up to the headlight switch.
    The pink IGN wire goes to the switch, see the picture.

When I get home this weekend, I can look in my ez wire directions if there are any more qestions.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  7. denisf

denisf Member

Which Harness

Thanks for this great tutorial. Which kit do you recommend for my 52 3100? I have no radio, yet, the rest is stock and I do have 12 volt system.
    Is the 12 circuit sufficient? Thanks in advance.

8. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

12 is more than sufficient for our trucks. They came with 2 fuses in the earlier models.

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I just wrote this up to answer another post, so I thought I'd add it here......

It really is simple.

Lay out the harness. it should be rolled up in sections....front/engine, dash, rear. Go through the wires and bundle all the wires that go to the same spot (coil, A/C, electric choke, alternator to engine. Front lights, signals, marker lights to front core support. Brake lights, signals, markers, license plate lights....fuel sender if you have moved the tank to the back.) Guages and switches to left side, radio and lighter to center, heat A/C to right side. Think about any accessories, changes, deletions, additions and make notes to follow.

Find a mounting spot for the fuse block....make shure it is easily accessable so when a fuse blows at night in the rain, you can change it.

Mount the fuse block, pull wires ....ALLWAYS through a grommet..light bundle through firewall to core support , engine bundle through firewall and to engine, rear harness through firewall and down behind inner fender, along frame to rear. Make shure no wires can move and chafe or touch a heat source. Pull dash wires and stick into respective holes.

Route bundles along fenders like factory, or under inner fenders for custom hidden wires. Plan where wires will route over to engine.

Start making connections after all bundles are located where they are going. I prefer to take the plastic off crimp terminals, crimp and solder terminals, then heat shrink.

Zip ties are your friend. Use plenty of them to bundle wires together. When you are all done, put final zip ties around harness, then cut all the others off to make a nice clean install.