Junk transmission, high price overhaul

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by KentC, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

KentC, i don't know if an AD vintage transmission will bolt up on your engine bell housing or not, but i was looking through the Stovebolt Page site awhile ago and a guy had an AD trans w/shifter linkage he would sell for $100 plus shipping. His handle is "redrose".

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yes , it should bolt right up and have the correct # of splines on the input shaft , same as the Muncie SM420 four speed one will bolt up too .

If you're not sure , ask the seller to count the # of splines on the input shaft.....

$100.00 sounds like the right price to me , maybe he'll toss in the shift box on the base of the steering column and you can mix 'n match all the various parts to get it really good & smooth shifting then you can clean , paint & sell off the remaining bits....

BTW : makes sure he drains the tranny completely , _wires_ a tag to one ear with your shipping info _in_pencil_ and then double bags it in trash bags before boxing it up for shipping as these things are heavy and often roll 'round inside thier boxes , tearing them up and ruining the shipping label...

3. KentC

KentC Member

Transmission

A local transmission shop has told us that there will be no problem in overhauling the transmission (he looked inside), and because of the many problems, I do not want to do it myself. His price is maximum of $495, the same as an exchange he has on the shelf. Assuming we do the deal, this is what I have planned. Also, the Bowties webpage (mentioned above) sells used, as is, for $150 plus $25 shipping. I will post to this thread when the decision is made, work done, to assist future problem solvers. Many thanks for the comments.
    kentc

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

kent, good luck on your trans and if you're a Red Raider fan, good luck to them too!

5. KentC

KentC Member

Transmission

The final looks like it will be $400, new cluster gears, bearings, seals and some gears replaced. I think he (the professional transmission man) put it together - one from three. I cannot complain, if the product works ok, and I think it probably will. Shoot, my speedometer should work now.
    Yes, I went to Texas Tech, many moons ago, took my accounting coursework there for the CPA licensing. I do not keep up with the athletic program though. I could not wait to get away from these dusty flatlands, but moved back from DFW 3 years ago. Many thanks to you all for the comments and suggestions.
    KentC

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Tranny Overhaul

I'd have to say that's a pretty good price .

What's the warantee period ? .

Replacing the pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft will help insure it has a _long_ life , I'd stuff in a new clutch disc too unless I personally knew it had under 20,000 miles on it .

This is a Torque Tube tranny , right ? no seals in it.....

7. KentC

KentC Member

Transmission

Yes, you are right, no rear seal. Warranty, not sure, did not ask as he was the only one in the area that had one in stock he fixed. I assume 90 days, as it has the appearance of a reputable shop. Wife said he was 60ish, fit, clear and bright blue eyes (looks like he belongs in the family). If it quits I guess I will have to punt (or kill him). Yes, I will replace the pilot bearing, and the rest of the clutch parts - why not, it is out and not that pricey. Thanks again.
    kc

8. Joels 48

Joels 48 Member

I have a good 250 from a 1970 Nova. Ran good and started easy when I replaced it with a tall deck HD 292. I'll sell it for $250.00 Shipping might be the deal killer?

9. KentC

KentC Member

Engine

Does a 250 fit in place of a 235, in a 1953, 3100 pickup, with a 3 speed transmission? What is your location?
    kentc

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sort of : you'll need a late ('63 ~ '67) truck bellhousing and then fabricate new motor mounts , I've seen a few done and they do run very well , light wieght and modern design means a peppy powerplant .

11. KentC

KentC Member

Engine, 250

Thank you but for the present I will pass. I am still checking around here.
    kentc