Parking brake bumper/leather guide order

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by The Red Truck, Jan 28, 2024.

1. The Red Truck

The Red Truck Member

While laying under truck today, (1952 3100) noticed the order on the parking brake felt bumper. So outward inward, cotter pin, heavy washer, the big felt/rubber clunk bumper and the rectangle leather guide they call it, bracket, space, firewall.

Struck me odd that the leather rectangle guide was outside the bracket, seems like being rectangle it should be on the inboard side, between bracket and firewall. But seems like then the spring washer would crush it and would be that much tighter. Then would it help center the rod? That would explain the rub marks.

Looking at the assembly manual it looks like it's pointing to be outside the bracket next to the felt bumper.

Question is, is it suppose to be in that double bracket area under the spring washer or outside with the felt bumper. Do I need to take it apart more so it's between the firewall and that raised area and reassemble?

Just doesn't seem like it does anything outside the bracket.
    Parking brake has always functioned well so I'm picking at something that working.
    talking about part # 40-115
    upload_2024-1-28_18-13-10.jpeg upload_2024-1-28_18-13-10.jpeg

2. The Red Truck

The Red Truck Member

Had an ah hah moment today. If you take the U bolt off from the release lever it will relieve the spring so you can slide the leather rectangle into the recess.
    So appears that it goes in the recess, I put the spring washer between the leather and the release spring hoping to give it some protection.
    So there ya go.

parking brake leather.jpg

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

There you go ! .

Figured it out all by your ownself ! . now go have an appropriate beverage .

4. The Red Truck

The Red Truck Member

Way ahead brother.. way ahead :)