M/T vintage SBC valve covers ?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Ratnest, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Recently I bought a set of SBC Mickey Thompson valve covers to put on my 350 crate motor. They are probably 70's era and in great shape. I had them powder coated in satin black and then sanded down the high spots to give me the look I wanted in my engine compartment (see photo). As I started to install them today I realized they have no baffles. A motorhead friend said I must have at least one baffle beneath the PCV Valve or oil will make a mess.

He said I have to add a baffle or get a special rubber grommet that is longer with a slit at its bottom. I found some of the longer grommets on EBAY but they are 1.22" and I need 1".

Should I enlarge the hole and get a bigger PCV valve or try to add a baffle to that cover? I'd hate to drill holes in the cover to add a baffle. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Attached Files:

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

What's your other valve cover look like, is it set up for a PCV and / or a breather/cap? You should NOT have to drill any holes in those vintage covers, they typically have knock-outs.

Tell us more about your intake, does it have an oil filler tube near the thermostat housing like the pre- 70 SBC's?

On my truck the pcv plugs right into the top of the M/T valve cover...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  3. markeb01

markeb01 Member

Always loved those Mickey Thompson valve covers. They really turned out beautiful with the black powder and sanded highlights.

4. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Hey John....my intake is an edelbrock performer without an oil filler tube. Here's a picture of both the covers. As you can see, each has a 1" hole that can be used either for a breather or pcv. The one with the oil filler cap hole is the one I'd like to use for the pcv valve.

Attached Files:

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Next question, what are you using for an air cleaner?

Assuming you are using an open element air cleaner, and since you don't have filler neck in the intake manifold, you would ideally want the pcv in one valve cover and a breather in the other valve cover. This results in pulling fresh air in at the breather, and sucking oil vapors and spent combustion gases out of the pcv and sucking them into the base of the carb.

http://mewagner.com/?page_id=434

If your motor is setting where mine is you can't put the breather at the back, toward the firewall.. the breather will hit the firewall. These M/T covers are taller than stock.

For the two hole valve cover (put this on the passenger side) you'd need a rubber grommet to fit your valve cover round hole that would allow a pvc to plug into it, the pvc would then be in the valve cover, back toward the firewall.

For the single hole valve cover (put this one the drivers side) you would want a rubber grommet and a push in breather.

Got any good speed shops in your area? I'd hit them up and see what they can provide. If not, start searching on the Summit or Jegs sites....

Hope that helps.

6. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

The eldebrock breathers have rubbers with them...

Attached Files:

7. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

It helps a lot...thanks. I've been searching the web and just found that Moroso makes a "breather grommet" that's .095" and should fit my 1" holes. It's part no. 68776 and is sold by Performance Parts in TN. I think I'll get a couple so if the lack of baffles becomes an issue, I can try them before making baffles. The air cleaner is 9"x12" oval open element that matches the valve covers.

8. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Thanks for the compliment....I got the exact look I wanted, but it was a lot of work to remove the powder coating and get a consistent look. The older M/T valve covers had lots of imperfections in the molding process.

9. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

I've got one, but it's too big for the existing holes in my M/T covers.

That's a fine looking engine....I had a 37 Ford Deluxe Coupe streetrod in the 90's but it wasn't that slick.

10. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

I had to enlarge the hole to fit, using a die grinder with stone, it fits the larger circumferance but on the inside of the ring around it of the one hole without the ears on yours....!

11. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

May do that partner....right now I'm using a Mr. Gasket breather that I had laying around.
    Thanks.