1949 Chevy 3600......making it a daily driver!!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Coach529, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Coach529

Coach529 Member

For some reason I have never been a fan of brakes.......oh well. :)

2. 52wasp

52wasp Member

What is the item with 2 wires coming from it in the picture? The Pressure switch that came w/ my Wilwood proportioning valve has two blade terminals.

I have yet to experience the "joy" of bending brake lines on my project- I'll be using "CuNiFer" line stock (Aka NiCopp). Word is it forms so nice it can even make ME look like a pro...

Bummer on the bad bearing. Nothing worse than not even DRIVING new parts yet, and they are bad. I'm there now w/ lower ball joint boots (of course, it can't be the upper's, that'd be too easy).

Keep up the good work, and the pic's too.

3. Coach529

Coach529 Member

That is the pressure loss sensor, actually only one wire coming out.

Thanks!!

4. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Busy night in the garage.

I had some help and we got the bed sides cut out for the wheel and UCA clearance and got the bed mounted.

I did not anticipate removing so much material. The bedsides clear the tires now but just barely. I will probably take out a bit more to have some clearance. I will also have to remove some of the fender flange.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Evidently, the wheels move a lot more inboard at the limits of the suspension arc than one would think. In retrospect, could you have spaced the wheel and tire OUT a bit, so it wouldn't get into the bedside? You aren't running a lot of rubber...

Keep up the progress!

6. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Spacing out might have been possible, but the upper control arm would have still come in contact.

7. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Spent a couple hours tonight finishing up the bed sides and mounting the rear fenders. Loving what I am seeing!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EdZachary likes this.
  8. EdZachary

EdZachary Member

That had to put a smile on your face! BTW- You still ride MOTO?

9. Coach529

Coach529 Member

No I don't ride much anymore. Sold my last bike a couple years ago. I raced for 20+ years and just kind of got burnt out on it. Started riding and racing mountain bikes.

All my kids ride. My oldest boy just got an 85cc and want to race this summer. My youngest is only 3 and is pretty good on an Oset bike. If I end up spending a bunch of time at the track with them this summer, I will likely pick up a bike.

10. EdZachary

EdZachary Member

Cool!
    Rode my trials bike this morning for a bout half an hour- Still race MOTO in the 50+ class, the season is just starting here as it's so wet during the winter. I own MOTOSTUFF.COM - we make high end racing brake systems for MX / SX. Used by GEICO HONDA, Team HONDA, Monster Kawi etc.

I had a '52 3100 for my first car back in high school and finally got another one after 36 years! It's a '52 3600, pretty similar to yours except it's got a nice green patina - My plan it to drop it 3-4" but otherwise keep it as original as possible. Not restoring it, just reviving it! :)

Mine is a one owner with 32,000 miles on it, was used as a milk delivery truck for 20 years until the engine gave up the ghost- Sat in his barn for 40+ years until I bought it. I bought a new gas tank, lines, headliner kit, door panels etc from Classicparts and a good running stock 1959 235 engine from a local hot rodder. Brakes are next. Stock drums and shoes all look good, but i haven't dug into the lines / cylinders and MC yet. Most likely am going to try and apply some wisdom I have gained over the last 30 years of wrenching and replace the entire hydraulic system... Probably get a drop axle from Sids and C notch the rear, a set of decent shocks, maybe a front sway bar and some 215-75-15's on the stock wheels.

I sure am enjoying the member content on here and especially your project as it is very similar to what I am shooting for. If I end up liking mine enough to use as a daily driver, I'll probably do another one or continue to evolve it as you have. Looks awesome!

11. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Definitely post some pictures of your progress!! Sounds like a great project.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nice to see some progress going on ! .

I rode my Moto to - day for the first time since January , I was beginning to worry my injuries would preclude riding any more :( .

13. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Good for you!!

14. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Not much photo worthy to report. Getting everything wired up. Battery will be in an old Hamm's cooler in the box. Running battery cables, etc.

Relays for my compressors are under the seat with my stereo stuff.

Chasing some leaks in the air system. So far I have a couple in the fittings in the air tank,

[​IMG]

vwnate1 likes this.
  15. Coach529

Coach529 Member

WE HAVE PRESSURE!!

Fired up the compressors tonight. Quieter than I had thought they would be. Hit 140 PSI in about 2 min roughly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Those are dual air brake gauges , correct ? .

Why ? .

Obviously I know bupkis about air bags #rolleyes# .

17. Coach529

Coach529 Member

Center gauge is pressure out of the tank. Right gauge is front RH bag pressure (Orange) and rear RH bag pressure (White). Left gauge is front LH bag pressure (Orange) and rear LH bag pressure (White).

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

O.K. , let me try again :

It appears that each side gauge has two needles......

19. Coach529

Coach529 Member

You need to measure pressure at each bag.

Right gauge is front RH bag pressure (Orange Needle) and rear RH bag pressure (White Needle). Left gauge is front LH bag pressure (Orange Needle) and rear LH bag pressure (White Needle).

vwnate1 likes this.
  20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

O.K. ;

They are air brake gauges , now I know why .

Do you have to balance the pressure as you drive ? .