1963 - 1966 Chevrolet Grill Letters

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Lakeroadster, May 19, 2014.

1. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

I created AutoCAD dwg and dxf cadfiles for the grill "Chevrolet" letters.

A sign shop can use the CAD file to create masking templates (for painting the letters) or custom vinyl letters of any size and color.

The vinyl letters are available from our host for less than $5, but if you want paint on your classic truck instead of plastic stickers or want to re-size the script for a custom application I've got ya covered :cool:

If you would like a copy of the files send me a PM with your email address.

I also have cadfiles for:

Kind of strange that the script on the tailgate looks nothing like the script on the grill? Also found it strange that the "C" and the "O" are taller letters than all the rest? But somehow it looks right.... things that make me :confused:

Happy Trails.... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Painting CHEVROLET

Here's how I made my own masking template to paint the CHEVROLET letters on the grill of the ole Orange Crate.

Using blue painters tape, the CAD letters I created and clear shipping tape I cut out each individual letter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then cut out the letters using an X-Acto knife

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I attached each template onto each letter

[​IMG]

Then it was a simple matter to mask around the templates and spray paint the letters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ain't she pretty :eek:

[​IMG]

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

VERY Pretty Indeed !

But ;

Does SWMBO know you used her cutting board John ? :rolleyes: .

4. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Truly my "better half" ... she does indeed Nate...

She's just glad I don't paint parts in the house anymore :rolleyes:

5. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

WOW! Nice work bud! :D

6. 1967427c

1967427c Member

1963 C10 Grill Letters

Currently restoring my 1963 Chevrolet C10 Stepside. Found your post on Grill Lettering. Would like to know more about what you have:

- How could I get copy of file
    - Is special software needed to print
    - Do you know supplier that makes the letters

Appreciate any help

7. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Welcome!

- How could I get copy of file......... Send me a PM with your email address
    - Is special software needed to print............ It's a pdf file, any printer works
    - Do you know supplier that makes the letters......... Our sponsor Classic Parts sells vinyl letters

8. 1967427c

1967427c Member

Would like copy of your files on grill letters and tailgate letters for 1963 stepside short wheelbase C10. Still working on my project. Few pictures attached. First one is the day I pulled into my shop after 12 years setting under shed of old shop. Other pics are where we are as of now.
    Looked at your "orange crate" project. I like that your mods are well done with emphasis on reliable "strong, supportive" fabrication.
    Like to see pictures on how you did the fuel access on the outside of rear fender when you relocated taml

Attached Files:

9. Dan Gillitzer

Dan Gillitzer Member

Only thing I can't find is how to PM you, I am new here but not my first rodeo either, can't find the way you PM people here.

10. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Dan, up in the upper right hand corner of you screen, click on your name. Click on "conversations". Click start new conversation, enter whoever you want to "PM". In this case, "Lakeroadster". Type your message, send.

Steve.

11. Dan Gillitzer

Dan Gillitzer Member

I follow you until "click start new conversation", I do not see that on that screen.

12. Dan Gillitzer

Dan Gillitzer Member

13. Dan Gillitzer

Dan Gillitzer Member

Looks sort of like that, I see "Starred", which does nothing to help, do not see "Start"

14. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Click "conversations". then upper right hand, shaded blue, I think, "start a new conversation". Right below "inbox".

15. Dan Gillitzer

Dan Gillitzer Member

Thanks, saw it now!

16. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

I was able to help Dan. He's putting '47-53 style tailgate letters on his new Chevy Colorado.

I re-sized the letters so they would be 43" wide.. a better fit for the Colorado's larger tailgate.

If he's ok with it, I'll post some photo's when he gets the local sign guy to produce the letters.

_____
    John

17. Dan Gillitzer

Dan Gillitzer Member

Absolutely John! The vinyl I want is on backorder, hope for not too long. I am getting a gold color that closely matches the current bow tie color. Love having a little tip of the hat to the past on my new rides!

Lakeroadster likes this.
  18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sounds good ! please post pix when finished .

Lakeroadster likes this.
  19. Dan Gillitzer

Dan Gillitzer Member

This is what I had done on my previous truck, a 2005 Colorado. The first Gen Colorado was, to me, a natural to do "something" with. This truck wasn't even debadged, it was just a blank canvas. Major pain was to order the restoration letters and get them spread out evenly. Advantage was I could just pull the tailgate off easily and lay it on the living room floor. What John did for me will make it WAY easier to apply. I will need to remove the huge gold bow tie to put the lettering on. I will then decide if I want the smaller "Colorado" letters left on or not.

Attached Files:

20. Dan Gillitzer

Dan Gillitzer Member

John and all:
    I decided I had to switch sign shops. As nice as the sign shop owner seemed and as good as his shop looked, he has pretty much pee'd me off to the point I am done with dealing with him. Luckily no money changed hands. There is a shop here in town, I didn't really know anything about him really, but decided to reach out to tell him what I had in mind. He seems to have me in the fast track, We picked a color and he says will have it ready to go next week, so will plan on removing the stock bow tie this weekend.
    I sent the original sign shop an email and a week later I called him to see if he had seen it and he replies he gets a couple hundred emails a DAY? What is this guy a spam email magnet because he is in no way sign central in this area. When ever I stopped I was the only one there and he was at his desk, not installing or cutting signs either.
    Anyways I hope I am fast tracked now.

Lakeroadster likes this.