Windshield Trim

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Winchster, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Winchster

Winchster Member

Ok, here goes, been trying to install the stainless trim that goes on the outside of my '49 deluxe cab windshield. Can't get it in and have basically messed around until now I'm about to have to buy a new set of trim thanks to the bent right piece. Anybody got any ideas or links on how this stuff is supposed to be installed?

2. Robert

Robert Administrator Staff Member

Winchster,

We have a 52 in our showroom and it has the Stainless Deluxe Trim on it. I believe we had a glass guy install the glass, rubber and trim all at the same time. I will have to wait until tomorrow and get you the right information on the best way to install the trim. I think it's kind of like patting your head and rubbing your stomach while hopping on one foot trying to do it. If I remember correctly you have to put the glass, rubber, and trim in at the same time. Can anyone on this board confirm this?

3. Winchster

Winchster Member

Well all I can say is that if it indeed must be done all in one shot then I ain't the guy to do it. lol. I had enough trouble just getting the glass into the rubber.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

DeLuxe Trim Installation

It's pretty simple -IF- you do it in the right order...

Rubber on glass , trim into rubber , string into rubber ,m then mount the assembled rubber glass and trim Ay. into the cab...

Pretty simple , take your time .

5. Winchster

Winchster Member

What string?

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Windshield Installation

To get the assembled windshield into the body , you should take a bit of 1/4" nylon string (I like to use plastic coated wire as it's more slippery) and tuck it into the groove in the rubber where the body will go , be sure the ends overlap a bit . lay it all against the cab's pinchweld and have an assistant _gently_ press against the panes , then you pull the string up and out from the inside , the string wil life the lip of the rubber up & over the pinchweld and into place , without damaging the rubber nor scratching the paint ...

Look in your factory shop mahual as it has a good writeup on this and shows pictures too .

Factory shop manuals are available from Chevy Duty (sponsor of this site) and cost about $30.00 , every truck owner needs one and needs to READ IT before each job as it'll halp the work go much easier .

I hope this helps...

7. Darkside327

Darkside327 Member

Hey Winchester,I just got 1949 chevy truck this year and i'm looking to build a truck on a college kid budget. I know this is irrelavant to this thread and I read what u wrote about the 73-87 halfton front end swap. But before i go out and buy one from my local junkyard, i wanted some directions from someone who has done the swap. Also, i had a few questions about the swap itself. {So, all i have to do is take my original frontend equipment off my 1949 frame. Then take my 1973-87 c-10 frontend and attach it to my 49 frame and it will just bolt right up(no welding involved)... <Am i correct thus far> Also, will the steering column and power steering brake booster off the 73-87 work with the conversion as well? And could i also use the rearend off of the 73- 87 truck.
    thanks
    eric

8. Winchster

Winchster Member

Yeah, you want to get everything you can from the donor truck. ChevyDuty sells the kit to put the rearend under your truck, and the rest is really simple to do. You will have people say that the wheels stick out too far but if you, like me, put matching rear and front axles on your truck, then the wheels stick out the same front and rear and it looks really cool. If you need any specifics you can pm me and I will happily answer all the questions you may have.

9. federale

federale Member

Rear Install

Hope I'm not too late with this tidbit,but there is no need to buy a rear end relocator kit. Simply take off your springs and turn them around end for end. This will center the pins in the wheelwell.[​IMG]

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

?? this works with a NOVA rear end ? or a Task Force rear end ? .

I know Task Force springs are wider (I tried fitting some free ones to my '49 , no dice) , will the Task Force spring pads fit the narrower AD springs O.K. ? this kinda tip makes me wish I still worked in a junkyard where I could play and find out...

11. federale

federale Member

Nate,I used a 77 Nova rear in my 53. It may not work on the pickup rear.