My 65 K-20 4x4

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 65_K20, Apr 15, 2008.

1. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

Hi everyone. I am the proud new owner of a 65 Chev PU, 283 4 speed, with everything pretty much original. The thing is that I believe it only has 39K actual miles on it. I was skeptical of that when I bought it back in Feb of this year but the more I look and drive it the more I am inclined to believe it is true. I am the 3rd owner and I have all the original Alaska registrations back to 65, the warranty stamp, original keys, owners manual which lists the dealer where the first owner bought it in Michigan and drive it up to Delta Jct AK. The seat, windshield, floor mat are in great condition as is the wooden bed. All lights, heater, wipers, gauges, hubs, and transfer case works like new. Also there is no rust to speak of anywhere. There are several minor dents and such but no sign of bondo. The engine leaks a bit of oil but would expect that if it hadn't been ran for extended periods. Anyway, I have dreamed of finding a 60's Chevy that had been hiding out somewhere without a lot of miles and it looks like I found my truck.
    Best,
    Dave N
    Haines AK

Attached Files:

2. joe231

joe231 Member

Sweet find Dave!!! call me envious!!:)
    those pics sure make me miss Alaska:mad:

3. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

Thanks Joe. I do feel lucky to have found it. I was in need of a 4x4 and would have bought something newer and not been happy. These old 4x4's are pretty rare so when I seen it with the for sale sign it felt like destiny!
    Which part of AK were you at?
    Dave

4. 62 short step

62 short step Member

Nice 4x4!! Welcome to the forums!

5. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

Thanks 62 short step. Is your 62 a 4x4? Looks like it might be but hard to tell on your thumbnail pic.
    Dave N

6. joe231

joe231 Member

I lived in Chugiak for 6 or 7 years (just north of Eagle River).
    Don't see to many of these trucks sitting around up there.
    Oh and 62 short step's is a 4by

7. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

I grew up in Fairbanks. Around where you were near Anchorage they salted the roads something awful and I suspect the old trucks there just faded away. Fortunately in the interior it gets too cold for salt to work so they sand instead and there are a fair amount of the old gals still going with no rust..

8. 62 short step

62 short step Member

Its a 61 4x4. Here are some current pics.

Attached Files:

9. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

Thanks for the pic's.. Nice looking 61! It sure is great seeing all these old Chevy's making a comeback and I especially like seeing the young guys in there teens taking an interest in restoring. Todays new trucks with all the over engineering and hi tech gizmo's I seriously doubt will have the same appeal 40-50 years from now as these 60's rigs have today. Can you imagine trying to fix up a 45 year old 08? Yikes!

10. 62 short step

62 short step Member

I don't think it would be quite as fun!!

11. 283 man

283 man Member

Welcome to the forum!!!Nice truck 65 K-20,283 motors are tough engines they go the miles!heres pic of my 66 & my Sons 66 under construction!!My 66 has the rool pan, matts got a bumper the 283 is my new one bought off my friend 62 short step:D

Attached Files:

12. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

I agree with you about the 283. It is the best part of my new truck. It runs great, starts up instantly and sounds like music idling. It is completely original with the only thing done to it was an electronic distributor and the muffler replaced with a cherry bomb. Oil bath air cleaner and canister oil filter make me feel down right nostalgic!

13. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

Oh yeah, nice pair of 66's 283 man. It must be nice to be able to share an interest in something with your son other then video games.. Having bought this truck has taken me right back to my teenage years when I wrenched on the same vintage rigs.

14. bobcat77

bobcat77 Member

65 K-20, that is sure a nice example of originality! Congrats on the find and welcome to the forum! Have you checked for the buildsheet stashed in the seat springs? I hope your not planning a huge 'modificastration' of your truck by adding airsuspension and dual frenched antennas or fender flares, passion purple/chartruse paint, or someother goofy abomination....:p Not that restomods aren't cool,(apprieciative nod to all the street rod builders out there) but when you find one in such a fine state, it would be a shame to mess it up, IMHO....ok, hopping down off the soapbox now...
    Like they say, "keep it real" .....
    Bobcat

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  15. 123hull

123hull Member

Welcome!! I live in Eagle River now, they don't salt the roads anymore (thank god)!! Take care of that truck and it'll take care of you !! (I still get notes stuck in my wipers from time to time)

16. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

Thanks Bobcat I couldn't find the buildsheet. Would it be accessible from under the seat? I'm with you about not doing anything to change the originality of this truck. I go around about whether to do the bodywork and paint or leave it as is. All the dents have been pounded out and it wouldn't be too hard to fix most of them but the hood might need replacing as that is the hardest part to fix right (also shows the most). I guess for me part of the charm of this thing is its history of being a work truck in interior Alaska. That is how I am going to use it as well so maybe I will just try to keep the paint touched up but not do the bodywork and new paint. I have been doing little stuff like fixing the broken fan switch lever and replacing burned out dash light bulbs etc. I changed out the starter as the bendix was sticking a little, changed the t-stat, radiator hoses etc and have the new urethane mounts to replace the old rubber ones for the transfer case as they seem a little sloppy. The previous owner replaced the old split rims and put on new 10 ply snow tires. The wood in the bed is still in good shape so will keep it till it needs to be replaced.
    So tell me, what is your Custom camper's gross vehicle rating? My truck is 7600 lb and it is quite stiff on the road. I don't remember seeing any of these Chevy Custom Campers back in the day, but seem to be lots of Fords version out there.

17. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

I am amazed how much these old pickups attract attention. I guess I shouldn't be surprised when every other car on the road seems to be a new pickup (ho-hum). This rig of mine sits up very high and it is fun to drive around town because of the way it stands out in the crowd. I remember that old TV show Northern Exposure about the mythological small Alaskan town and the best part was everyone seemed to drive an old early 60's Chevy/GMC pickup. :D

18. 283 man

283 man Member

Can you get some pictures of your motor so we can check it out:D 65 K-20 thanks, love pictures of ever thing about 60 thur 66 Chevy/Gmc;)

19. 65_K20

65_K20 Member

Here are a few more pictures.. I have yet to give this truck a good cleaning so excuse the messy appearance. :(

Attached Files:

20. 283 man

283 man Member

65 k-20 looks good like they came out in the 60s love to see the ones too that are keep like they came out every once in while! Really great well keep 65 k-20 4x4:).