HELOOoooooooooooooooooooooo.........

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by vwnate1, Jul 30, 2010.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Is there anyone out there ? this forum is dead , too bad as I read older posts and see some good Tech Advice , I could use some too :rolleyes: .

2. fjrmitch

fjrmitch Member

Sorry fella,,,, this forum is very very slow from my limited experience. Try to hang in there and you may get a legible response to your technical questions. What are your questions?

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

My Q's are lain out in my other posts regarding my '76 GMC C-2500 , I'm saving it from the crusher and putting it back into the daily hard service it was designed for , I'm kinda running against the clock here .

The '47~ '55 forums here get fast responses .

I just like to hear back so I have other viewpoints to ponder whilst I'm doing the job .

Sort of like working in a big , freindly shop , ya know ? :) .

4. FutureProjector

FutureProjector Member

Yeah, I made an account like two years ago before I got my project (hence name) and even back then there were only a few active people here but the few that are here are pretty intelligent and are good friends. I just hope I can get help now that I have my project.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You Can !

Make friends and get good help here .

I see very good tech advice when they want to give it .

I like the looks of your truck .

I also love TEXAS , especially the wide open Western part .

Now then : GIT BACK TO WORK ! :D .

6. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

There seems to be a lot more people on 67-72chevytrucks.com.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yabbutt ;

I have a '76.... :rolleyes: .

I had found a '68 C20 with 292 and Three On The Tree but the guy was some sort of jerkoff or doper who couldn't be bothered to actually sell the truck he had listed for sale :confused: .

C'est La Vie .

:p

I like this one too as it turns out .

8. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Yeah that's why I didn't join that site for a long time because that's what I thought too. They actually started out as only 67-72 trucks in 1997 but now they cover pre 1947-1999+ trucks, check it out its pretty cool and the people are really helpful.

Yeah I hate it when people do that, I found a 64 C20 with a V8 and 4 speed on craigslist that I really liked and the guy wouldn't answer or call back.:mad:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  9. The Carpenter

The Carpenter Member

when i signed up i thought i would be on all the time, not just looking for help but trying to help on the rare occasion when i know anything about the question. life gets real full sometimes.

I just set this forum as my home page in my browser so i won't forget again.

Thanks roadhazard for the reference on 67-72chevytrucks.com. i'll check that out and bookmark it but chevy duty... i mean classic parts... stays as the home page. there really are a lot of great guys here.
    thanks again to everyone for the past and future help.

btw, i'm gonna be building my first motor ever to freshen up my '87 and i'll be looking for all the help i can get! A friend has been sitting on this 350 from another friends '88 suburbaqn (so we know some of the history of the motor) for about six or eight years now, promising we get to it some day. well mine's starting to smoke - just valve seals though - and we finally dug it out. i tore it down thurs The block, heads and crank went to the machine shop on friday.
    i'm very excited. did i mention i've never built a motor before? what kind cam do i want? ok i'll start my own thread..

10. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Yeah no problem! I bookmarked this site so ill be getting on here more often now.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Engine Building

...Is the very best Bench Work as it's easy and fun too :) .

Beware of : ' race ' cams ! I always had great luck with stock 3/4 Ton Camper Special cams , I flat refuse to use re-ground cams as they never last no matter how carefully you break them in .

New cam : new lifters ! .

Used cam :,used lifters are O.K. but _ONLY_ if you took the time to mark exactly which lifter went against which lobe ~ failure to do this means it'll run flat in 10,000 miles or less :( .

Re-ground lifters are crap too , a TOTAL wa$te of $$ !.

Do you know what heads you're using ? some SBC heads have nice , BIG valves and they tend to get stolen , or " lost " (yeah , right !) at most Machine shops unless you're very observant . they tried this B.S. on some fuelie heads I sent in from the Police Dept. last year , the Mechanic was hopping mad when they returned tiny valve SMOG heads.... I called them up and said " Monday or I call in the Force ..." oddly ,they suddenly "found" there had been a " mixup" and our big valve heads appeared...

Anyways , to do the job right , you need Hospital cleanliness ~ when you're about to assemble the pistons & cylinders , wipe the bores with a clean white paper towel and if it comes out with _any_ traces on it , clean the cylinder with new white paper towels and Windex until they come out clean ~ no joke . how you clean it has everything to do with how it breaks in and lasts , power and so on .

HAVE FUN ! .