powder coating VS painting

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 51 HHR, Nov 21, 2010.

1. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

I have a local guy willing to powder coat my wheels for $200 which to me is a fair price. I just have to get them bead blasted clean first which he hasa guy who does it for him for around $100.
    Now the thing is i can lay down a coat of paint myself (no rattle can job either) for just the price of the paint and the bead blasting.
    SO the long of it is:1 will the powder coating be worth it? 2 will it stand up to the beauty rings and hub caps? 3 be worth it?
    Bill

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

! Ripoff !

He's NOT your friend as wheels are $40 ~ $60 each including bead blasting off the 50 years of old paint and de-greasing etc. too .

This for show quality powder coating .

I just had a full set of 5 done for $35 each , in red too .

Keep looking and asking around as in due time you'll find an HONEST place that'll do a good job and you'll love it ~ brake dust wipes right off , even after years .

3. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

Prices differ

Remember nate we live in LA where most services seem to be a little cheaper in price anyway it seems that way to me. I know when i go to my home town of spokane wash. everything seems higher

4. Zig

Zig Member

Rattle rattle

Hey~ I sense negativity towards the rattle can here... :rolleyes:

5. Volker

Volker Member

powder coating

I prefer the powder coating. It's a liitle bit expensive as the rattle can but not sensible concerning cracks. ...and power is available in may colors.

Attached Files:

6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I painted mine with 1 shot and a brush. Flows out smooth and takes a licking.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Laka laka laka laka.........

No , not on THIS forum.... :rolleyes: .

Volker , I love those hubbies ! are you going to add a pin stripe to those shiny clean wheels ? .

In all cases , Powder Coaters will want to prep the metal before wasting time and powder so the bead blasting is always part of the price , $200 for all the wheels is fine *if* he's honest and includes the prep work .

I hate dishonest anyone and won't ever let that go by .

8. yodaman

yodaman Member

Bill,
    Where in Jersey are you? I ask because we have powder coating ability at my work. I'm in Maryland right near the Delaware line. If its close enough for you and you have a Saturday to spare, all you need to do is buy the powder and come down and we'll get her done. Little cost (just the powder) and you can do your own work if'n you want....with a little semi-pro help.;)
    Our sandblaster is down so I can't help with that.:eek:

Josh

9. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Forum

And this is why I love this forum, there's an offer you can't refuse.:cool:

10. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Powder coating advantage and disadvance. !

Powder coating has some advantages that gives a longer lasting effekt.

1. The paint and surface gets much harder versus spraying enamel or acryl paint. The paint has a much tighter film and is very shiney. Easy to wash away filth.
    2. Sandblast everyrhing thoroughly. Ground paint first of all. Object goes into a heating cabinet when heated at aprox. 140 celsius .
    3.Higher tolerance towards chemicals and exhaust acids or salt.

Disadvantage:(
    4.When damages in the paint occures, powderpaint is moore difficult to repair then sprayed acryl or enamel painted objects.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  11. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

Yoda

Josh
    I am in New Egypt near Great Adventure
    Where can I get the powder from?
    Part of the deal was the guy who would dismount the tires would do the blasting and remount after the coating was done.
    The guy who does the coating works with the blaster they are in cahouts
    but if i can get him to dismount the tires and blast them and then get them down to you that would be cool

12. yodaman

yodaman Member

We generally get our powder from Eastwood. Their prices seem reasonable. We have a variety of colors in the shop but all of them are old and I have been told that after 6 months or so the powder becomes less effective. I've still used older powder but if'n it's on wheels I'd buy new so hopefully you'd only have to fool with it once.

13. skalywag

skalywag Member

I picked up, what I thought to be, solid running boards for my '53 at the in-field of Charlotte motor speedway during a swap meet ($100/pr). I wanted to powder coat them semi-flat black as per the original scheme and to provide a tougher surface for an area that gets stepped on etc.
    What I got were very well powder coated, but during the prep, one of his employees blew a couple of holes thru em and never said a word to anyone. I would have welded those holes shut before the final coating if I had known! Oh well, I am just driving with them till I find a couple more that will replace them or weld them and have them re-powder coated. They are holding up very well to traffic by the way. I had the same guy do my inner fenders and other under hood stuff. I rattle-canned most of the other running components (Got one of those fancy pistol attachments) and they seem to be holding up also. I spent last weekend winterizing her, and layed underneath with a grease gun and a rag enjoying the view.
    Cheers,

14. ccharr

ccharr Member

I have to jackup the truck over two feet and put it on stands to be able to lay underneath and enjoy the views.

15. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

$200 is the going rate to powder coat 4 rims around these parts....

But ...that $200 also includes the bead blasting.

Sounds like your powder coater wants to be able to blame someone else
    { the sandblaster} if they don't come out nice.

16. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

powder coater

he says hell strip the paint and prep but does not have in house means of bead blasting. He also has no way of dimounting the tires from the rims, he is not an automotive shop he does piece work for local manufacturers( if there is such a thing in the USA anymore) I have seen some wheels that he has done and they look exceptional but then again I dont know if you could F@$% up powder coating
    Bill

17. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

cleaning

also besides the chalky cover fo paint on my wheels they are in good shape very little to no rust on them i just figure bead blasting would be quicker then stripping and also cleaner with les prep time to coat
    Bill

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Screwing Up Powder Coating

Oh yes indeedy ! they're easy to mess up , one of the Ruby Red wheels on my '49 has fisheyes in it..... :mad:

19. aggiejon

aggiejon Member

Awesome Idea! I was planning to have my wheels done, but will have to hold off and wait to get the inner fenders and the running boards done. I have a powdercoater that I work with locally. I have a plasma CNC sign business and periodically get work done. He is super cheap, quick, and top notch on his work. He does mostly production components, so my stuff tends to be end of batch/fill a hole in the oven kinda work (which is fine with me!). The most I've ever spent with him was $40 bucks for a job that was powdercoated a custom bronze on 3 individual pieces that were 7' long by 12" each for a rock wall.