Ranger Overdrive

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by destryrideagain, Dec 1, 2010.

1. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

2. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Mmmmmmm

Looks interesting, it could be viable unless you have the torque tube like I have, that would be a major problem

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Overdrive

This looks O.K,. except it goes in FRONT of the tranny and so means significant changes to your truck , ones that'll lesave big scars if you decide you don't like it...

I'm pretty sure Gear Vendors makes one for the back of an SM420 tranny...

having a Torque Tube makes things *much* more difficult .

4. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Feedback overdrive.

Hey guys

Very intresting Thread this one indeed.

I wrote them an e.mail to ask if it is posseble to convert it with an torque tube system and the Saginaw 4 speed conversion? I wanted to know the facts and if it will lift the driving range even moore.

I`l back on this subject Martinius.

5. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

Nate you are right, the Gear Vendors one is more practical but it is $3,000 up! woooo

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Dreaming

$3K ?! OUCH ! :eek: .

I guess I'll go buy another Lotto Ticket then....

7. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Ranger overdrive , answered by Greg Miller Transmission & Gear

O.k. guys this is the answer i have got today and there might be a chance it will work ?

Martinius -

The cost of the Ranger is $1495. It will not care about the adapter on the rear, it bolts between the trans and the bellhousing

Looks like it will fit. Thanks for the pics, however the pics do not, however, clearly show the front bolt pattern or input shaft. To verify: Make the following measurements on the trans;

Dia of input shaft at splines

# of splines

length of input shaft measured from the front of the trans

measure the vertical and horizontal center to center measurements of the bolt pattern where it bolts to the bellhousing.

Diameter of the hole in the back of the BH that the bearing retainer indexes (centers) the BH into.

Thanks!

Greg Miller
    High Impact Wheels / Transmission & Gear
    Toll Free 888-316-2940
    www.high-impact.net

Note: Conversions are not an exact science. Part of our service includes going over your job in detail when you place the order, and verifying the engineering to ensure you have the best engineered kit for the job using the best data we have available to us. Unforeseen variables can come up during the install: We also provide full and available technical support after you receive your parts, any questions or difficulties you might have before, during or after the install.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  8. destryrideagain

destryrideagain Member

Thanks for posting that Martinius, what tranny are you running in your truck?

9. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Tranny question?

I run a fully synchronized Saginaw 4 speed 3.11 1 st. gear with the Patricks converted short tail peace. Attached pictures.

I found these articles very intresting, there about using the Ranger splitter in front of the SM420 tranny used in the Military Dodge. It has a Chevrolet Bellhousing wich i can see have the same mesuares as what many chevy 1/2 t. trucks have.

Good article;
    http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/rangeroverdrive.htm
    Very good article;
    http://www.fordification.com/tech/torque-splitter.htm

Does anyone knows if the Saginaw have the same boltpattern/distance like the SM420 ?
    Mesuared bolt hole senter/senter Saginaw have ; Vertical 6.2 inches , horizontal inches 9.1 ( attachted picture).

What is the Dia. of the hole in the back of the Bell Housing (216 CI) that the bearing retainer indexes (centers) the BH into?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010