Installing V8 into 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by penniwinkle, Sep 28, 2010.

1. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Long trip

Poor service, expensive food, waitress with no undercrackers and no ice!!!!! Nate, that was a hell of a long drive, you ended up in England:D

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well , No ;

The food wasn't as greasy & bland as Limey food :D

:p

3. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Nate

That was harsh Nate, harsh:D

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I Know

...I've gotta keep you in your place , us uppity Colonists ya know Neil :rolleyes:

I COULD have bagged on LBC's & Lucas but since I rather like both , my heart wasn't in it :p .

5. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Nate

Consider me in my place:D

6. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

Update on the V8, new tranny and rearend

Here are a couple of pics on the V8 installed, the 10-bolt rearend installed and the Turbo 400 installed. The steering gear had to be moved even tho I used some 'block hugger' headers (it was easier to move to the outside of the frame than I thought). The motor-mount crossmember had to be cut (on each end) as well as the tranny mount. I first thought I should move the motor an inch or so to the passenger side but just centered it as best I could. The rearend kit from CP is a very nice kit - centers the wheel somwhat (it doesn't look perfectly centered to me).

Attached Files:

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Progress !

I am pleased to see you fitted new brake cylinders as safety knows no season .

I hope you'll replace thse unsafe too long U-Bolts as it's only a matter of time until they catch on something and seriously screw up your day.... :eek:

I see this dangerous mistake made time after time , even by supposedly experianced shops .

The steering box pic , that looks very close , is that after you moved the box left ? maybe a simple sheet metal heat shield is in order here ? .

I'm a Foreign car Mechanic so I'm familiar with close fitttments but this looks like no fun to work on .

I wonder what it would look like if you were to paint the V-8 engine truck grey ?
    maybe a bit more " vintage " ? ~ I'm just thinking out loud here as I like things to look like they did when I were a laddie . I love Chrome but it belongs out side on in the cab , not under the hood where it makes problems .

Keep up the good work and keep us posted as many here are following this closely .

8. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Looks about right.

9. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

v8

Looks Good Roger keep us posted on any more updates.
    Also what harness did you use on your re-wire???
    Robert

10. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

v8 installed

Robert, I rewired the truck. I bought a small kit and added to it (trying to save money - spent about $80.). I also installed a new switch (start with the key), headlight switch and new guages with new guage panels (wife sayd I spent too much).

Nate, yes, agree the header is too close to the steering box. I think I want to move the gear further or replace the exhaust headers. Speedway has a set I looked at, that are patterned off the early 60s 327 corvette - sorta like the 'rams horn' but smaller. Re the u-bolts, was thinking about cutting off the excess. Thanks for the feedback.

Roger

11. ccharr

ccharr Member

12. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

on the road

Happy New Year Roger are you driving the truck yet have not seen any updates .
    talk to you soon I have been slow myself just painted the engine not all hooked up yet.
    Robert

13. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

V8

Hi Robert, no, have not complete my installations yet. I did resolve all the issues I had with clearence between the exaust and the steering gear. The 'Rams-head' type exaust manifold from the 327 left me about 1 inch....think it will be ok. I'm currently working on installing a floor shifter for the TH-400 and finishing up plumbing new brake lines. The holidays slowed me down some.

Have you started the 235 yet?

Roger

14. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

yep had it running yesterday i have to go through the points and timing stuff pulled the dist when i painted the eng i will learn how to post pics soon.
    Robert

15. ccharr

ccharr Member

Good to hear you are about to put it back on the road Robert, have you also installed the rearend you gotr for it?

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

YAY Robert !

Piece by piece buddy , you'll get 'er done ere long .

17. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

v8

Roger keep us posted on your updates.
    Robert

18. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

Latest updates

Here are some pics of the new exhaust headers I installed to gain more space for the steering gear. I have about 1 inch or so now. The headers are Corvette style for 327 engine. Included a pic of my new shifter and the cables that run to the tranny.

Just put my radiator in the shop. Hope to get it back soon so I can install it with a new elec fan (going to mount a 'pusher')...want to put the front-end back together soon. Am also working with a local shop on a driveshaft. Its been a challenge as the turbo 400 I have does not have a slip-yoke (the yoke is bolted to the output shaft). Will probably get a shaft that has a slip-joint on the shaft (like a 4 wheel drive truck). The length has been an issue...it needs to be about 60 inches (about the max the local shop wants to work on).

Roger

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  19. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

nice

Roger looks good should be on the road soon.
    i'am still at the same place. just painted the back of the frame and will start to get the bed back on until i can buy a new one.it's been a very slow process for me .than back under the hood for finish up but looks like i will be trying to install my 216 split manifold some guys here and another site say it will work hope so.
    talk to you soon.
    Robert

20. federale

federale Member

Whooooooooops? Wait a sec Brit. Where were the waitresses with no undercrackers? :D